Radars used to find people missing since 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus

·

US academics have used ground-penetrating radar to seek burial sites on Cyprus of people missing since the 1974 Turkish invasion and earlier interethnic strife, AP News reports.

Team leader Harry M. Jol told the Associated Press on Friday that they scanned several pre-selected sites between December 28 and January 6, using a system that creates subsurface images without the need to dig.

Traces of ground disturbance from human activity were found among the half-dozen sites searched, but confirmation of burials would require excavation.

READ MORE: Bones of Charalambos Kokotsis’ missing brother found years after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

An anthropologist works on the remains of a missing person at the anthropologist laboratory of Cyprus Missing Persons (CMP) inside the U.N buffer zone in the divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, May 31, 2017. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Karadjias, File.

Jol said he passed on to the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP) — an expert group that has since 2006 been seeking more than 2,000 missing Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots — information on where soil disturbance was found.

READ MORE: Personal stories of survival and loss during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

The data continues to be processed and interpreted in collaboration with CMP staff, while Jol said there are plans for his team to return to the east Mediterranean island nation in the near future.

CMP experts have so far exhumed the remains of 1,114 people and identified 1,023. However, 778 Greek Cypriots and 201 Turkish Cypriots still remain missing since the 1974 Turkish invasion, which split the island along ethnic lines, and intercommunal fighting in the decade before.

READ MORE: Cyprus returns remains of Greek soldiers killed in 1974 invasion.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Panagia Soumela Sydney spread Christmas cheer with acts of kindness

Panagia Soumela Sydney capped off a year of vibrant cultural activity with a festive end-of-year celebration last weekend.

‘Just trying to be in my kids’ lives’: Dimitris Garbas’ MS diagnosis and fight for life

"I'm not going to have my daughter wheeling her father in a chair when she's 16," Dimitri says in an interview with The Greek Herald.

Maria Sakkari becomes first Greek player to qualify for quarterfinals of the US Open

Maria Sakkari defeated Bianca Andreescu today to become the first Greek tennis player to qualify for the quarterfinals of the US Open.