Mitsotakis: Greece will not accept EU conditions on coronavirus aid

·

In an interview with the Financial Times, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he would not accept strict EU conditions on the use of coronavirus emergency aid, in a sign of the difficult negotiations ahead for the bloc’s leaders on its proposed €750 billion recovery fund.

“Greece has matured a lot since the days of its debt crisis… and we want to do our own reforms. There will be no return to the sort of EU oversight imposed during the debt crisis,” Mitsotakis said.

The former “troika” of Greece’s creditors, the European Union, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund, had “forced (Greece) to do reforms” even though “there was never really any domestic buy-in.”

A six-monthly review of economic performance carried out by the European Commission was sufficient, Mitsotakis said.

“I don’t think any additional strict conditionality is necessary,” he said, adding that every southern EU member state regarded it as “politically unacceptable.”

Denmark, Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands are opposed to the Commission’s plans for the recovery fund and are pushing for so-called “conditionality” to be applied to EU money to ensure it is spent to improve competitiveness. German chancellor Angela Merkel, who supports the recovery fund, has said the money must be used to “future proof” the countries’ economies.

Greece will receive a total of €32 billion out of the €750 billion fund, if the Commission proposal is enacted upon.

RELATED: Greece anticipates grants of at least 8-10 billion euros from French-German recovery plan.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

‘Forever sealed in blood’: The Cretan song honouring the heroes of the Battle of Crete 

The Battle of Crete has been widely written about. It was an important geostrategic WWII battle (May - June 1941), to secure Crete.

South Melbourne FC storm into OFC Pro League final with dominant semi-final win

South Melbourne FC defeated Vanuatu United 4-0 in Auckland to secure a place in the inaugural OFC Pro League final at Eden Park.

You May Also Like

South Sydney Rabbitohs chair Nick Pappas supports Latrell Mitchell amid radio rant

The Rabbitohs star Latrell Mitchell is under fire after a recent post-match R-rated radio interview on Triple M took place last week.

First-home buyers secure Earlwood property while holidaying in Mykonos

A first-home buyer couple successfully purchased a five-bedroom house in Earlwood for $2,871,000 while holidaying in Mykonos.

Commemorative memorabilia released marking 80th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

Australia Post together with the Cretan Federation will release a limited-edition Commemorative Medal & Commemorative Envelope.