Pompeo condemns Turkey’s unilateral actions in East Med in letter to Greek counterpart

·

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, has criticised Turkey’s unilateral actions while describing Greece as “a pillar of stability in the region,” in a letter to his Greek counterpart Nikos Dendias seen by Greek media outlet, Ekathimerini.

In his letter, which is a response to a recent letter sent by the Greek foreign minister, Pompeo reiterates American objections to Turkey’s ongoing energy exploration in areas where Greece reserves the right to extend its territorial waters from 6 to 12 nautical miles.

READ MORE: Pompeo pledges US support to ease Greece-Turkey dispute.

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, met his Greek counterpart, Nikos Dendias, last month.

“These unilateral actions only serve to raise tensions in the region,” Pompeo says.

“Coercion, threats, intimidation and military activity will not resolve tensions in the Eastern Mediterranean,” he says.

Welcoming Greece’s commitment to resolving bilateral differences through dialogue and in accordance with international law, Pompeo also commends Athens for taking all necessary steps “to avoid an accident or other event at sea that could lead to a conflict between NATO allies.”

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, has criticised Turkey’s unilateral actions in a latter to Greece’s Foreign Minister.

READ MORE: Pompeo: Bullying is not a means of resolving disputes in East Med.

Pompeo emphasises that the US and Greece share a vision of the Eastern Mediterranean “as a peaceful and prosperous region characterised by cooperation and respect for international law.”

“We have urged and will continue to urge our NATO ally Turkey to end its calculated provocations and immediately begin exploratory talks with Greece,” he concludes.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Former ‘Georgie Porgies cafe’ owner George Mikhail joins new Cronulla cafe

"I decided to get out before I lost everything," George Mikhail said about Georgie Porgies, which closed in March after being open for nine years.

Australia bushfires: Dozens of houses destroyed or damaged

Scores of blazes burned across the state and neighbouring Queensland on Tuesday as temperatures climbed as high as 40C (104F) in some areas. Authorities said...

Mimis Plessas: Remembering the giant of modern Greek music

The 'giant of modern Greek music,' Mimis Plessas, passed away on Saturday, just a week shy of his 100th birthday.