Greece’s Prime Minister sends message of solidarity to Vienna

·

Several people have been killed in a terror attack in central Vienna and at least one gunman remains on the run, Austria’s Interior Minister has told a news conference.

At least two people have been killed and several injured during an attack in the Austrian capital on Monday night.

Among the two confirmed dead was one of the attackers, who was shot dead by police.

Police cars block a street near Schwedenplatz in Vienna. Photo: Reuters/Leonhard Foeger.

Austria’s Interior Minister, Karl Nehammer, told ORF a manhunt was underway for the “heavily armed and dangerous” attackers.

“We have brought several special forces units together that are now searching for the presumed terrorists,” he said.

“I am, therefore, not limiting it to an area of Vienna because these are mobile perpetrators.”

In response, Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has sent a message of solidarity to people in Vienna on Twitter this morning, adding “Europe stands united against terror.”

“Shocked by the horrific attacks in #Vienna. I have conveyed to Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, our full solidarity,” Mitsotakis wrote.

“Our thoughts are with the people in Vienna and the authorities dealing with the situation. Our hearts, with the victims and their loved ones.”

Attack happened as people enjoyed last night out before lockdown:

Police said offenders armed with rifles had fired shots from six areas near the Seitenstettengasse synagogue about 8.00pm Monday local time.

Vienna Mayor, Michael Ludwig, said 15 people had been hospitalised, seven of which were suffering serious injuries.

Police said an officer was among the injured.

Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, added on Twitter that the Army would protect sites in the capital so police could focus on anti-terror operations.

“We are currently experiencing difficult hours in our republic,” Mr Kurz wrote on Twitter.

“I would like to thank all the emergency forces who are risking their lives for our safety, especially today. Our police will take decisive action against the perpetrators of this repulsive terrorist attack.”

Vienna police have confirmed that their operation in the centre of the city was ongoing and they urged people to avoid all open spaces and public transport.

Police also warned locals not to share videos or photos of the ongoing police operation, to avoid endangering officers.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Hellenism takes over Brighton-Le-Sands as Greek Fest makes triumphant return

On Sunday, Bay Street in Brighton-Le-Sands was packed with people as the Greek Fest made its triumphant return after 21 long years.

Cypriot communities across Australia and NZ gather for 51st Annual Conference

On Friday, May 24, the Federation of Cyprus Communities and Organizations of Australia and NZ officially inaugurated its 51st Annual Conference following a four-year...

Three generations of Pontians raise funds to preserve their ‘second home’ in Sydney

Three generations of proud Pontians supported Pontoxeniteas NSW's 'Winter Wonderland Fundraising Gala' for its 45-year-old Pontian House.

6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney: A morning of hope and progress

The White Pearl Foundation hosted its 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney in support of The Brain Cancer Group.

Melbourne’s Greek community gathers to commemorate the Battle of Crete

Melbourne's Greek community gathered at events over the weekend to commemorate the 83rd anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

You May Also Like

Australian helicopters join fight against wildfires in Greece

Australian fire fighting helicopters from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland have joined the fight to extinguish wildfires ravaging Greece.

A new era for Attica: Ellinikon investment project officially inaugurated by Greek PM

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, formally inaugurated the Ellinikon investment project on the site of the former Athens airport.

Man charged after Greek man murdered in Melbourne’s south-east

A 27-year-old Moorabbin man has been charged with murder over the death of a Greek man on a street in Melbourne's south-east on Tuesday.