Three-year-old girl pulled alive from rubble days after deadly Aegean earthquake

·

When firefighter Muammer Celik reached a 3-year-old girl trapped for three days under the rubble of a deadly earthquake in a Turkish coastal city, his heart sank. She was lying motionless, covered in dust, and he asked a colleague for a body bag.

But as Celik extended his arm to wipe her face, the child opened her eyes and grabbed hold of his thumb.

“That’s where we saw a miracle,” Celik of the Istanbul fire department’s search-and-rescue team told The Associated Press, recounting Monday’s operation 65 hours after the quake hit, killing at least 94 people in Turkey and Greece.

It was the second dramatic rescue on Monday after a 14-year-old was also pulled out alive. Onlookers applauded with joy and wept with relief at both scenes in the Turkish city of Izmir, where the vast majority of the deaths and nearly 1,000 injuries have occurred.

In this photo provided by the Turkish government’s Search and Rescue agency, AFAD, rescue workers carry to an ambulance 14-year-old Idil Sirin who had been extricated from a collapsed building early on Monday, November 2, 2020. Photo: AFAD via AP.

Two teenagers also died and 19 people were injured on the Greek island of Samos, near the quake’s epicenter in the Aegean Sea.

READ MORE: Funeral held in Samos for the two teenagers killed by deadly earthquake.

The US Geological Survey rated the quake 7.0, though other agencies recorded it as less severe. Many buildings were completely reduced to rubble or saw several floors pancake in on themselves in Turkey and Greece.

Celik, whose team was among several who traveled to Izmir, said he found Elif Perincek lying on her back between her bed and a closet in a space that was just big enough for her.

“At first I was very upset,” he said. “Then I stretched out my hand to clean her face and she grabbed my thumb… I froze because right before that moment, I had asked my team for a blanket and a body bag.”

3-year-old girl, Elif Perincek, rests in her hospital bed after she was rescued from the rubble of a building. Photo: Turkish Health Ministry via AP.

His voice breaking with emotion, he added: “This is a firefighter’s joy.”

READ MORE: Mitsotakis visits earthquake-striken Samos, calls for damage evaluation.

The child spent nearly three full days in the wreckage of her apartment and became the 106th person to be pulled alive from the rubble. Her mother and two sisters — 10-year-old twins — were rescued two days earlier. Her 6-year-old brother did not survive.

Health Minister, Fahrettin Koca, tweeted that both Elif and 14-year-old Idil Sirin were doing well.

Elsewhere in Izmir, rescue workers scrambled to find more survivors used listening devices to detect any signs of life.

“Can anyone hear me?” a team leader shouted, asking possible survivors to bang against surfaces three times if they could.

Members of rescue services search for survivors in the debris of a collapsed building in Izmir, Turkey. Photo: AP Photo/Darko Bandic.

READ MORE: Greek PM Mitsotakis, Turkish President Erdogan exchange condolences over earthquake deaths.

Officials said 147 quake survivors were still hospitalised, and three of them were in serious condition.

The quake also triggered a small tsunami that hit Samos and the Seferihisar district of Izmir province, where one elderly woman drowned. The tremors were felt across western Turkey, as well as in the Greek capital of Athens. Hundreds of aftershocks followed.

Turkey sits on top of fault lines and is prone to earthquakes. In 1999, two powerful quakes killed some 18,000 people in northwestern Turkey. Earthquakes are frequent in Greece as well.

Source: AP News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Record-breaking $2.8 million raised for Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation at Silver Party

A record-breaking $2.8 million raised for Sydney Children's Hospitals Foundation at the annual Silver Party on Saturday night.

‘It was outstanding’: Yannis Kotsiras amazes the audience at Sydney’s State Theatre

Sydney's State Theatre erupted in applause on Saturday as popular Greek singer, Yannis Kotsiras, took to the stage to perform his iconic hits.

The Greek Herald joins forces with MUGA to save Modern Greek Studies at Macquarie University

The Greek Herald and Macquarie University Greek Association has initiated a petition to save Modern Greek Studies at Macquarie University.