Homeless refugees reject new camp on Lesvos, call for resettlement

·

Greek authorities are struggling to persuade refugees displaced by the Moria refugee camp fire to move to a new temporary site, as many people continue to sleep on the streets of Lesvos island.

Just over 6% of the 12,500 people left homeless last week by the fire have been rehoused in the temporary facility, authorities said on Monday.

Refugees and migrants displaced by the Moria camp fire find shelter in makeshift accommodation. Photo: Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters.

Migration Minister, Notis Mitarachi, said there’s space for about 5,000 people so far in the new camp, on a former military firing range at Kara Tepe near Mytilene.

Officials said the gap between available spaces and residents in the new camp is largely due to the unwillingness of many refugees to settle in.

Many had hoped that with Moria destroyed they would be allowed to head for the Greek mainland, or even other European Union countries.

Migrants shout slogans during a protest near Mytilene town, on the northeastern island of Lesbos, Greece, Monday, Sept. 14, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

Several hundred women and children held a protest march along the Moria-to-Mytilene road on Monday, chanting: “No camp, freedom.”

These latest protests in Lesvos come as Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said he hoped plans to build a new reception centre to replace Moria would be an opportunity to reset policy on handling migrant arrivals.

READ MORE: Greece to build permanent migrant centre on Lesvos to replace Moria.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Trump meets Netanyahu as ceasefire progress slows

US President Donald Trump met Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago in Florida to push momentum on a US-brokered Gaza ceasefire.

Antonia Moropoulou gives insights into restorations at the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem

It is the most emblematic monument of Christianity - The Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. TGH invites its readers on a journey through time.

Organised crime hit suspected in fatal Melbourne shooting of Athan Boursinos

Police believe Athan Boursinos was murdered by organised crime figures from NSW who travelled to Victoria specifically to carry out the hit.