Greek doctors protest ‘suffocating’ conditions at COVID-19 clinics as cases skyrocket

·

Greek hospital doctors went on a day-long strike on Tuesday and dozens marched in Athens to protest “suffocating” conditions at hospitals on the frontline of the coronavirus pandemic.

With around 6,000 deaths, Greece has fared better than much of Europe in containing the pandemic and prevented its health service, battered by years of financial crisis, from collapsing.

But intensive care units at state hospitals are operating at roughly 80% capacity and doctors want the government to create new units for COVID-19 patients instead of using already existing ones, as well as to hire more staff and to use resources from the private sector.

Greek hospital doctors and staff take part in a demonstration against a lack of intensive care units at public hospitals amidst the spread of coronavirus in Athens, Greece, February 23, 2021. Credit: Reuters / Louiza Vradi.

“There is a serious risk both for critically ill COVID-19 patients and critically ill patients with other diseases,” the union of hospital doctors, OENGE, said in a statement. It described the situation at hospitals as “suffocating.”

Wearing surgical masks, doctors demonstrated in Athens holding banners reading “Support health workers,” and an image of a healthcare worker with a fist raised in protest.

“Any negative impact on the public’s health will be the sole responsibility of the government, despite its efforts to pass on the responsibly to hospital doctors and other health professionals,” OEGNE said.

More than 1,200 COVID patients have been through intensive care in Greece since the pandemic began.

On Tuesday, transmission of COVID-19 skyrocketed once again in Greece, as the country recorded 2,147 cases and 22 deaths.

The figure represents an increase of 1,267 individuals from the 880 cases that had been newly diagnosed and recorded in Greece just one day before on Monday.

The jump in cases comes as the country has been under a strict national lockdown for two months to stem the spread of COVID-19 infections.

Nearly half of Tuesday’s cases were diagnosed in Attica, a region where the anti-virus measures are particularly severe, with all schools and non-essential businesses closed.

Source: Reuters.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece tables bill for overseas postal voting

A draft law allowing Greeks living abroad to vote in parliamentary elections by post has been tabled by Interior Minister Thodoris Livanios.

Stefanos Tsitsipas storms into Doha quarterfinals with statement win

Stefanos Tsitsipas produced one of his strongest performances in months to defeat longtime rival Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-4.

Lina Mendoni declares WWII execution photos monument of Greek history

Greece’s culture ministry has designated 12 World War II photographs posted for sale on eBay as a monument of modern Greek history.

Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book explores genocide memory in Australia

For Themistocles Kritikakos, the study of genocide began long before academia - in family stories, silences, and fragments of the past.

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

You May Also Like

Australian sport in disarray as the NRL 2020 season is cancelled and Australia pulls out of the Tokyo Olympics

Not only has the NRL confirmed that the 2020 season has been suspended indefinitely, but Australia's Olympic athletes have been told to prepare for the Games to be postponed to 2021.

Meet the Greek Australian twins breaking nightclub records for thinking inside the party box

Greek Australian brothers Harry Nathan Labrakis and Evangelos "Boonie" Labrakis are changing the party game, creating the world's smallest mobile nightclub.

Greek Australians named among South Australia’s 40 Under 40 for 2021

Two Greek Australians have been named among South Australia's 40 Under 40 list at the Adelaide Convention Centre last night.