Greece’s artistic swimming team out of Tokyo Olympics after four COVID-19 cases

·

Greece has withdrawn from the artistic swimming competitions at the Tokyo Olympics after four of their athletes tested positive for COVID-19. 

The athletes who tested positive were asymptomatic, Greek officials say, but one positive case quickly led to three more. 

“The team from the very first day it entered the village has not come into contact with any other member of the Greek Olympic team for obvious reasons,” the Greek Olympic Committee (HOC) said.

”After this development, there will be no representation of Greece in the teams of synchronised swimming.” 

The diagnoses ruled the team of nine out of the Games and are now quarantining in a seperate hotel, Greek officials said on Tuesday. 

The HOC says the synchronised swimming team was not in direct contact with other athletes and staff since their arrival in the Olympic Village. 

It’s dashed the dreams of the team who were just days away from entering the group and duet artistic swimming events. 

Greece’s Evangelia Platanioti, a member of the duet team, saw her Olympic prospects slipping when she tested positive in late July. 

Her replacement was already selected before she tested negative and was reinstated for the competition. 

Tokyo Olympic organisers on Tuesday reported 18 new Games-related COVID-19 cases, bringing the total since July 1 to 294. 

Source: Reuters, NPR 

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Niki Louca shares her family favourite Indokaridopita (coconut cake) recipe

It is a cake her aunty Panayiota used to make often in years gone by, and one she hasn’t had for a long time.

Euro 2004 legend George Karagounis to partake in Sydney charity match

Former Panathinaikos, Inter Milan and Fulham player, George Karagounis is set to visit Sydney this month as part of an official tour.

‘Slap in the face’: Family share grief over Joanna Shanahan’s death

The family of senior police officer, Joanne Shanahan, who was killed in an Adelaide car crash last year, has spoken out about their grief.