Greece refuses to supply Soviet-era missile systems to Ukraine

·

Greece has rejected an informal request by Ukraine to send its Soviet-era TOR-Μ1 and Osa-AK missile systems as the country believes they could still be needed by its Armed Forces, according to Ekathimerini.

The Greek media’s sources said that although these systems, owned by the Greek Army and Air Force, would need to be upgraded, “they still serve some of the country’s air defence needs.”

Athens has not yet received a request to send any of its Russian-made S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems to Ukraine.

READ MORE: Ukrainian President assured of Greece’s ‘full support’ during phone call with Greek PM.

This rejection comes a day after the Chief of Greek General Staff Konstantinos Floros ruled out “any possibility to grant or dispose weaponry that weakens the defence of the country.”

So far, Greece has already sent Kalashnikovs and launchers to Ukraine, along with humanitarian aid.

Greek diplomat fleeing Mariupol continuing journey west:

In the meantime, the evacuation operation for Greece’s Consul General in Mariupol, Manolis Androulakis, is still underway.

According to Ekathimerini, the Greek diplomat resumed his journey westward on Thursday and is heading to Uman in western Ukraine.

The evacuation operation, which includes staff of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and their families as well, started on March 15.

Androulakis had stayed behind to assist some 150,000 ethnic Greeks in Mariupol who wanted to flee.

READ MORE: Greek Mariupol Consul General reaches Zaporizhzhia amid evacuation operation.

According to the Greek Citizen Protection Ministry, more than 10,700 Ukrainian refugees, of which 3,478 are minors, have already arrived in Greece since the start of the Russian invasion three weeks ago.

READ MORE: Russian shelling damages Consulate of Greece in Ukrainian city of Mariupol.

US, Greek security advisors discuss Ukraine:

US National Security Adviser, Jake Sullivan, and Greek counterpart, Thanos Dokos, discussed the situation in the besieged southern city of Mariupol in a call on Wednesday, the White House said.

The two national security officials also discussed “Russia’s unprovoked and unjustified aggression against Ukraine, including the ethnic Greek community based in Mariupol,” the NSC Spokesperson, Emily Horne, said in a statement.

The two advisors also reiterated their commitment to international efforts to hold Moscow to account for its actions and to ensure Ukraine has the ability to defend itself.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

You May Also Like

Israel attacks Greek Orthodox church in Gaza a second time

Israeli missiles have hit the Greek Orthodox Saint Porphyrius Church in Gaza City, where dozens of displaced Palestinians have taken refuge.

Candalepas Associates win at the 2024 National Architecture Awards

Candalepas Associates have won in two categories at this year’s National Architecture Awards. Read more here.

Drew Pavlou calls on Tennis Australia to hold minute silence for Peng Shuai at Australian Open

Drew Pavlou is behind a massive campaign to hand out free 'Where is Peng Shuai?' t-shirts at the Australian Open women's final on Saturday.