Greece has ‘formally’ entered its second wave of the coronavirus pandemic

·

Greece is “formally” in the midst of a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, one of the country’s top infectious disease experts has told The Guardian.

After recording its highest number of positive diagnoses ever, a record 203 cases on Sunday, the nation has reached a critical juncture in its ability to further contain the spread of the virus.

“We can say that Greece has formally entered a second wave of the epidemic. This is the point that we could win or lose the battle,” said Gkikas Magiorkinis, assistant professor of hygiene and epidemiology at Athens University.

The former Oxford University academic, among the expert scientists advising the government, forecasts cases climbing to 350 a day if the “dramatic increase” continued unabated.

Assistant Professor Gkikas Magiorkinis says Greece has ‘formally’ entered a second wave of the pandemic.

“Unless there is a change in the trend that we are seeing, we are likely to propose more measures along the lines we have seen in Poros,” he added referring to the Argo Saronic island where a surge in cases late last week prompted authorities to announce an unprecedented crackdown including the closures of clubs, bars and restaurants from 11pm.

RELATED: Greek island on lockdown after worrying Covid-19 outbreak.

The Greek Health Minister, Vasillis Kikilias, announced late on Monday further containment measures, warning “transmission of the virus is growing dangerously.”

The measures mainly affect travelling from certain countries, operations hours in the catering sector in several regional units, as well as cultural and other events such a concerts.

Until this month, Greek health officials appeared to have the epidemic under control but Magiorkinis said the abrupt rise, compounded by a sudden jump in the number requiring intubation, up from nine on 1 August to 22 last night, left no doubt that the highly contagious disease was working its way through society.

New precautionary measures were announced in Greece late on Monday.

Prior to additional precautionary measures being enforced last week, not least mask-wearing in all enclosed spaces, Greece had seen its effective reproductive number, or R number, reach 1.

“Our main concern is the degree to which this epidemic can stretch any health system,” he said.

“Greece currently has around 1,000 beds that can support COVID-19 patients … no health system, anywhere in the world, can cope effectively with a full epidemic resurgence. In the next two weeks we could have as many as 100 people intubated, almost matching the number we had at the height of the pandemic.”

Tourism has partly played a role for the sudden increase. But echoing government officials, Magiorkinis attributed the resurgence mostly to lax observance of hygiene protocols by Greeks, particularly younger generations who have flooded bars and beaches in recent weeks.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Nick Politis’ company in court case with Sydney restaurant owners

Restaurateurs, Giovanna and Paola Toppi, are locked in a $1.5 million legal stoush with a company of which Nick Politis is a director.

Pensions and energy subsidies the focus of Greece’s new 5.5 billion euro economic package

Greek PM, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, announced 21 initiatives to support households and businesses buffeted by energy crisis and high inflation.

Hellenic Village sale enters critical phase as proceeds and priorities come into focus

Hellenic Village’s land sale moves into a decisive phase, as member organisations weigh how proceeds will shape the community’s future.