Greece extends lockdown until December 7, protests break out in Athens

·

Greece’s government spokesman on Thursday announced a week-long extension to the country’s current lockdown due to the continued spread of the coronavirus.

Stelios Petas said the lockdown, which was due to end on November 30, would be extended to the morning of December 7.

“The decision is necessary as the epidemiological load continues to be high,” Petsas said. “In particular, in some areas it is a source of concern.”

Greek health authorities said there were 2,018 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours. There were also 99 deaths, raising the total to 2,001. A record 608 patients are on ventilators.

The number of confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic has reached 99,306.

24-hour strike by civil servants:

The lockdown announcement came amid a 24-hour strike by civil servants on a variety of demands, including better workplace protection against the coronavirus.

The strike disrupted public transport and services, while several hundred people defied a ban on gatherings imposed due to the pandemic, holding protests in Athens and the northern city of Thessaloniki.

Hospital staff wearing face masks to curb the spread of COVID-19 take part in a rally at Evangelismos hospital during a 24-hour strike, on Thursday, Nov. 26, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

About 400 people gathered in central Athens for the protest march, while about 150 striking workers also gathered briefly for a protest rally in Thessaloniki.

Ferries to the islands were halted and the Athens metro system and tram were shut for Thursday’s strike, although buses continued to run in the capital.

Flights that had been canceled or rescheduled went ahead however, as air traffic controllers called off their strike after a court ruled their participation illegal.

Greek journalists were also participating with a two-hour work stoppage between 11 am and 1 pm, during which no news broadcasts were aired.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Applications now open for inaugural $10,000 Military History Prize in NSW

Applications are now open for the inaugural $10,000 Anzac Memorial Trustees Military History Prize, a new annual award.

Chris Lucas acquires prime Sydney site for Grill Americano expansion

Chris Lucas has acquired the entire ground floor of No. 1 Chifley Square in Sydney for his acclaimed Grill Americano.

Greek independence to be celebrated at Australia’s National Museum

Saturday, April 18 will see Greece’s independence celebrated with a special lecture series to be held at Australia’s National Museum in Canberra.