Erdogan: Turkey will not be confined to its coastline

·

Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on Monday called for negotiations over energy exploration rights in the Eastern Mediterranean, days ahead of a European Union summit where leaders could decide to impose sanctions on Turkey.

“We believe we can solve the problems of the Eastern Mediterranean by not excluding each other, but by bringing all the actors together around the same table,” Erdogan said in a video message to a university forum on the Eastern Mediterranean Sea.

However, he said Turkey would “not accept plans and maps that aim to confine us to the shores of Antalya.”

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks in Istanbul, Saturday, December 5, 2020. Photo: Turkish Presidency via AP, Pool.

READ MORE: The European Parliament votes in favor of sanctions against Turkey.

“We are not after exploiting the rights of anyone but try to take a firm stance against pirates that try to take our rights away,” Erdogan said.

At a summit in October, European leaders warned Turkey to withdraw its energy research ships or face punitive measures.

Late last month, the Turkish seismic survey vessel Oruc Reis returned to port, as it had done before October’s EU meeting. However, another research ship, the Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa, remains off Cyprus’ southwest coast.

READ MORE: Turkey withdraws Oruc Reis navy ship, sends Barbaros to Cypriot waters instead.

EU foreign ministers agreed on Monday that Turkey’s behavior has not improved and that the two-day summit on Thursday is looming as a “crucial” meeting for EU-Turkey ties.

“All of them considered that we have not seen a fundamental change of direction,” EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, told reporters after chairing their talks. “In several aspects, the situation has worsened.”

European Union foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, speaks during a media conference after a meeting of EU Foreign Ministers at the European Council building in Brussels, Monday December 7, 2020. Photo: John Thys, Pool via AP.

Tensions between NATO allies Turkey and Greece escalated over the summer with a military build-up after Turkey sent the Oruc Reis, escorted by navy frigates, into disputed waters. The move prompted Greece to also send its warships, and both countries conducted military exercises to assert their claims.

Turkey says it is standing up for its energy rights, as well as those of breakaway Turkish Cypriots, while Athens and Nicosia call Turkey’s actions a breach of their territorial waters.

READ MORE: ‘No need for discussion,’ says Erdogan as Turkey restarts drilling in eastern Mediterranean.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Cricket world goes nuts for Sam Konstas after stunning Boxing Day Test debut

Teenage debutant Sam Konstas stole the show with a scintillating innings that electrified the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Thursday.

Sydney resident Michael Gerondis boosts security amid antisemitic attacks

In response to a rise in antisemitic incidents, former NSW Police's Michael Gerondis has stepped up security around his Vaucluse home.

Kayla Itsines’ fitness app takes $80 million hit in first year after sale

SWEAT in $80 million loss in its first year under foreign ownership after being sold by Adelaide celebrity fitness trainer, Kayla Itsines, in 2021.