Cypriots begin clean up after deadly forest fire spreads through villages, farms

·

A deadly fire that claimed four lives and has been described as the most destructive blaze in Cyprus’ 61-year history as an independent republic is now fully under control, Cypriot authorities said Monday.

Cyprus’ Forestry Department said more than 600 people managed to contain the blaze early Monday after scorching more than 55 square kilometers (21 square miles), forcing the evacuation of nine villages and burning down homes, businesses, orchards and forest.

Fire crews remain on the scene in case the blaze reignites amid temperatures reaching 35 C (95 F). Cyprus Electricity Authority officials said they hope to have power restored to at least seven villages by Monday evening.

READ MORE: ‘Pure hell’: Villagers in shock as deadly bushfires rage across Cyprus and Kefalonia.

This house and a vehicle in the Larnaca region were gutted by the blaze. Picture: EPA.

Search crews on Sunday discovered the bodies of four people who are believed to be Egyptian laborers outside the village of Orou on the southern edge of Cyprus’ main Troodos mountain range.

The men, ages 22 to 29, had gone missing Saturday afternoon when the fire began outside the nearby village of Arakapas and spread quickly amid strong winds.

Officials said the four tried to flee the fire along a dirt mountain track, but their small truck veered off the road and fell down an embankment. They tried to flee on foot, but didn’t make it.

Trade Union PEO has asked for a full investigation into the laborers’ deaths as well as their work safety conditions.

READ MORE: Four dead in catastrophic Cyprus forest fire.

The forest fire claimed the lives of four people. Picture: AFP.

President Nicos Anastasiades called the fire “an unprecedented tragedy” for Cyprus except for the destruction wreaked by a 1974 war that split the island along ethnic lines after Turkey invaded in response to a coup aimed at union with Greece.

Some area residents who lost their homes and property to the fire wept as they described seeing a lifetime’s worth of labor going up in flames. People were allowed back to their homes after their villages were declared safe.

Anastasiades, who toured the fire-hit villages on Sunday, pledged immediate government help to farmers and homeowners who lost crops and property and the families of those who perished in the fire.

Crews are already assessing the damage so that fire-afflicted residents can receive the first compensation packages later this week.

A man walks through the burned forest, in Ora village in Cyprus on Sunday. Credit: AP.

Anastasiades on Monday opened up a bank account for private contributions to help those who lost their homes and livelihoods.

Police spokesman, Christos Andreou, told The Associated Press that a 67-year-old man is being investigated on arson charges. He said “more than one witness” had seen the man leave his orchard shortly before a fire broke out there. A court ordered that he remain in custody for eight days.

Fire crews had been joined by police officers, soldiers, Civil Defense and Wildlife Service staff, as well as many members of the public who volunteered to help. Authorities said more than 70 fire engines, 14 bulldozers and numerous water tankers were mobilised, while a National Guard drone provided eyes overhead to locate new fire fronts.

A total of nine Cypriot firefighting aircraft, and police and National Guard helicopters were deployed. Two helicopters from British military bases in Cyprus also helped firefighting efforts, along with two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft and two Israeli fixed-wing planes.

Anastasiades thanked Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, for his assistance during a phone call on Monday morning, with Mitsotakis later sending his condolences for the human lives lost during the bushfires on Twitter.

“Greece, as we assisted with 2 Canadair to put out the fire, will always be on the side of Cyprus,” Mitsotakis wrote on Twitter.

Diaspora in Australia are also doing their part to help out with the clean up effort, after the Cypriot Community of Melbourne and Victoria launched a GoFund Me page in an attempt to fundraise for their compatriots.

“The Cyprus Community of Melbourne & Victoria stands hand in hand and supports the victims of the current devastating fires in Cyprus,” the committee wrote on Facebook after launching the fundraiser.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

You May Also Like

Greek Australians join global effort to revitalise Greece’s remote islands

Greek Australians have played a leading role in international efforts to revive Greece’s most isolated border islands.

World Poetry Day: 5 Greek poets whose works have stood the test of time

With today being World Poetry Day, here are five Greek poets whose works have stood the test of time.

The Darwin GleNTi’s 32 year history has been showcased in a stunning video timelapse

The Darwin Greek GleNTi Festival has released a timelapse video of its history by using footage dating right back to 1988.