Greece to crack down on the abuse of beaches

·

Finance Minister of Greece, Kostis Hatzidakis presented a new bill at a press conference, setting strict conditions for the exploitation of beaches and seeking to bring order to the chaos created by businesses trespassing on Greece’s beaches.

According to ekathimerini.com, the new rules stipulate that the boundaries of the seashore will be registered electronically and concession areas will be strictly predetermined, with the introduction of “untouchable beaches” in Natura designated regions.

“The purpose is to bring order to coastal areas and to introduce a new logic in the utilization of public property,” Hatzidakis said supporting that the move sends a pro-environmental message that will strengthen the tourism product of Greece.

The emergence of the “beach towel” movement last summer was triggered by the public’s restricted access to numerous Greek beaches, a consequence of unauthorized encroachment by businesses setting up umbrellas and sunbeds. Local communities took matters into their own hands to reclaim beaches and sea access without incurring charges.

The concession of coastal areas will be accompanied by commitments for lifeguard supervision, beach cleaning and the installation of special mechanisms to serve the disabled. 

Beach in Messinia

The plan also foresees unhindered access to the coastline and strict penalties for offenders blocking that access.

Drones and other technological means will be used to make sure law is applied. Moreover, the tenders for the development of public property in coastal areas will be prepared digitally by the State Land Service and not by local municipalities.

This shift aims to address issues arising from the fragmentation of responsibilities related to seashore management and concession processes by municipalities.

Hatzidakis highlighted the problems of communication with municipalities last year, while noting that 1,750 violations were recorded in 4,500 inspections at beaches around the country.

Development rights will be secured by bidders via a relevant platform, making direct concessions impossible.

Source: ekathimerini.com

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

‘We must come to a collaborative step forward’: Dr Andonis Piperoglou

Hellenic Senior Lecturer in Global Diasporas at the University of Melbourne Dr Andonis Piperoglou shares his thoughts on the Greek language.

‘Taste of GleNTi’ kicks off a big week of Greek festivities in Darwin

Greek music, dancing and food filled Darwin's Waterfront on Saturday as the 'Taste of GleNTi' event kicked off with thousands in attendance.

Exclusive: Bill Papas – Building Xanthi FC into more than just a football club

"Our goal is not to win a title or waste a few million but to invest so that the team improves day by day in all areas," Bill Papas says to The Greek Herald.