Greece signs deal with Vatican for return of three Parthenon fragments

·

Greece and The Vatican finalised a deal on Tuesday for the return of three Parthenon sculpture fragments which have been in the collection of the Vatican Museums for two centuries, AP News has reported.

The 5th century BC sculptures are mostly remnants of a 160-meter-long frieze that ran around the outer walls of the Parthenon Temple on the Acropolis in Athens.

One piece is the head of the horse that was pulling Athena’s chariot on the west side of the building. The others are from the head of a boy and the head of a bearded male.

The Vatican has termed the return an ecumenical “donation” to Archbishop Hieronymos of Athens and all Greece, not necessarily a state-to-state transfer. 

The deal to implement the “donation” was signed during a private Vatican Museums ceremony on Tuesday.

Signing of the deal. Photo: Culture Gr / Twitter.

The head of the Vatican city-state, Cardinal Fernando Vergez, was present at the signing to represent Pope Francis. Greece’s Culture Minister Lina Mendoni was also in attendance, as well as Reverend Father Emmanouil Papamikroulis representing the Archbishop.

Mendoni told Athens-Macedonian News Agency (ANA-MPA) the donation of the Parthenon fragments was “an especially generous gesture and an example of spiritual and brotherly relationship between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches.”

Father Papamikroulis told The Associated Press the Greek Orthodox Church and Archbishop were grateful to Pope Francis for the deal.

“It has taken place at a difficult time for our country and it will hopefully provide some sense of pride and happiness. I hope this initiative is followed by others,” he said.

The Vatican’s gesture puts pressure on the British Museum to conclude a deal with Greece over the fate of its much bigger collection of Parthenon Marbles.

The British Museum has long refused to return to Greece its collection of Parthenon Marbles. Earlier this month, however, the Chair of the British Museum said the UK and Greece were working on a deal that would see his institution’s Parthenon Marbles displayed in both London and Athens.

Source: The Associated Press and Athens-Macedonian News Agency (ANA-MPA).

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Antetokounmpo family donates 10,000 surgical masks to Athens suburb of Zografou

NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo and his brothers donated 10,000 surgical masks to the Athens suburb of Zografou to help fight the coronavirus pandemic.

Stella Tzobanakis on ‘Creforce: The Anzacs and the Battle of Crete’ revamp

Writing Creforce was a “very emotional” two-year process, Tzobanakis says, involving vigorous fact-checking and a full immersion of Crete.

Paul Nicolaou urges Sydney bid for Formula One race amid global uncertainty

Business Sydney Executive Director Paul Nicolaou has urged the NSW Government to position Sydney as a potential host for a Formula One race.