Greece sends condolences after South Korean plane crash kills 179

·

The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed deep condolences following the tragic plane crash in South Korea, which claimed 179 lives on Sunday, December 29.

The ministry declared in a statement that Greece is “profoundly saddened by the tragic incident involving the plane crash in South Korea. We extend our sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims during this difficult time.”

The crash occurred when Jeju Air flight 7C2216, arriving from Bangkok, attempted to land at Muan International Airport. The Boeing 737-800, which had 175 passengers and six crew members on board, failed to deploy its landing gear, resulting in a belly landing.

The aircraft skidded off the runway, hit a wall, and exploded in flames. Only two crew members survived, both of whom were hospitalised with injuries.

This accident is the deadliest in South Korea in nearly three decades, surpassing even the tragic 1997 Korean Air crash.

South Korean authorities are investigating potential causes, including bird strikes and weather conditions, as a bird strike warning had been issued shortly before the crash.

“At this point there are a lot more questions than we have answers,” aviation expert Gregory Alegi said, raising concerns about the plane’s speed, the lack of flaps, and the failure of the landing gear.

Boeing, the plane’s manufacturer, also expressed condolences: “We extend our deepest condolences to the families who lost loved ones, and our thoughts remain with the passengers and crew.”

Jeju Air CEO Kim E-bae apologised for the accident, stating there were no early signs of malfunction. The airline pledged to cooperate with the investigation and prioritise support for the families.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

‘I hope to be back next year’: Stefanos Tsitsipas loses to Djokovic in French Open final

Novak Djokovic won his 19th career grand slam title on Sunday, beating Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-7, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 in the French Open final.

Full moon seen rising over the Acropolis and Temple of Poseidon in Greece

The August full moon was seen rising over archaeological sites in Greece, such as the Acropolis and the Temple of Poseidon, on Sunday night.

Mitsotakis urges climate action after Greece battled almost 1,300 wildfires in August

Kyriakos Mitsotakis said wildfires that ripped through Greece this month underlined the need for radical shifts to tackle global warming.