Greece relies on drone technology to keep beachgoers in check amid COVID-19

·

Drones are the next technological tool shown to used in Greek beaches to monitor and keep beachgoers safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

NBC News released a video pointing out how drones are being flown above Greek beaches crowded with tourists, reminding them to maintain their social distancing.

The increase in beach goers comes as the Greek government begins to relax restrictions for their country, along with the heat wave that surged into the mediterranean a few weeks ago, allowing many to swarm the beach and enjoy the sun.

Greek Journalist Niko Efstathiou says that the drones are flying above the Greek beaches equipped with loudspeakers, telling people to keep their distance from one another.

Plexiglass and physical barriers are also being used in Greek beaches to maintain social distancing. One beach bar in Santorini has employed the use of plexiglass walls, with the owner stating that although he doesn’t like it, it must be done to bring tourists back to the beaches.

“We hope these constructions you see are not going to be the future for beaches. We don’t want this, but if this is necessary, and if this is what people’s safety depends on, such a construction or any such construction – we (just) want to work, we want to get going,” said beach bar owner Charlie Chahine.

Plexiglass and physical barriers are also being used in Greek beaches to maintain social distancing. Photo: Kathirimini

A dedicated team of people are also making their way around the Greek beaches to disinfect lounge chairs as tourists leave.

In Europe, drones similar to the ones in Greece are being flown to monitor beachgoers.

French drone maker Parrot has donated 5,000 of its motors to be put to use in an open-source ventilator project. Spain was also quick to take to the skies, being the first European country to use agricultural drones to spray disinfectant in various large public areas in response to COVID-19.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

The home and museum of poet Constantine Cavafy in Alexandria set to be restored

The home-turned-museum of Constantine Cavafy in Alexandria is set to be restored by the Onassis Foundation.

First inter-generational ‘Meet n Greek’ networking event held in Victoria

HACCI last week partnered with the Greek Youth Generator (GYG) to host ‘Meet n Greek,’ a next-generation networking event.

Holocaust survivor Heinz Kounio dies at 98

Heinz Kounio, one of the last surviving Holocaust witnesses from Thessaloniki, has died at 98 years of age.