Greece rebuts British Museum claim that Parthenon Marbles were ‘removed from rubble’

·

Greece’s Culture Minister, Lina Mendoni, has rejected a recent claim by the British Museum that many of the Parthenon Marbles removed by Lord Elgin’s agents in the early 19th century were found “in the rubble” around the monument.

The assertion was made by the London museum’s deputy director, Dr Jonathan Williams, at a UNESCO meeting last week.

“Much of the frieze was in fact removed from the rubble around the Parthenon… These objects were not all hacked from the building as has been suggested,” Dr Williams was quoted as saying during the meeting.

The Parthenon Marbles on display at the British Museum. Credit: AFP via Getty Images.

In a statement to The Guardian on Sunday, the Greek Culture Minister rebuffed this claim, while accusing Lord Elgin, then British ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, of committing serial theft.

READ MORE: When Jenny Mikakos reunited with Greek Culture Minister Lina Mendoni.

“Over the years, Greek authorities and the international scientific community have demonstrated with unshakeable arguments the true events surrounding the removal of the Parthenon sculptures,” Mendoni said in her statement.

“Lord Elgin used illicit and inequitable means to seize and export the Parthenon sculptures, without real legal permission to do so, in a blatant act of serial theft.”

READ MORE: ‘Our bonds are closely tied’: Greek Culture Minister sends message to Australia’s Greek community.

Campaigners, citing witnesses at the time, have long contended that the sculptures were violently detached from the Parthenon with the aid of marble saws and other machinery in the full knowledge of Elgin.

This latest spat comes just days after news emerged the UK was willing to hold talks with Greece over the possible return of the treasures to Athens.

READ MORE: Greece and the UK agree to hold formal talks on possible return of the Parthenon Marbles.

Source: The Guardian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Young Greek Australians speak out about new TikTok sun tanning trend

A rising trend of tanning raises alarms, with experts warning that sun exposure in the first 15 years of life is crucial in skin cancer risk.

When Alexander the Great approached the Strait of Hormuz

In 325 BC, Alexander the Great began his return westward from India. His ambitions had shifted from conquest to exploration.

Greek sailing coach refuses to apologise in court for allegedly raping 11-year-old athlete

"I did not rape her, I categorically deny it... Be patient, when I get out of prison I will marry her," he reportedly said.