Google’s big win in defamation battle with Melbourne lawyer George Defteros

·

The High Court of Australia ruled on Wednesday that Google is not legally responsible for defamatory news stories and other material viewed when users click on its non-sponsored search results.

This news comes after the search engine has been locked in a battle with Melbourne lawyer, George Defteros, since 2016.

According to ABC News, Mr Defteros successfully sued Google in 2020 for $40,000 after it refused to take down a hyperlink to a newspaper article he said was defamatory.

Google has won in its defamation case against George Defteros.

The article in The Age newspaper was about how Mr Defteros was charged in 2004 with conspiracy and incitement to murder underworld figures, including Carl Williams. But those charges were dropped in 2005.

At the time, the Supreme Court of Victoria found the internet giant was a publisher and had defamed Mr Defteros.

But Google took the case to the High Court, arguing that it was only a navigator and not a publisher of content.

The court went to the High Court of Australia.

The High Court ruled by a majority in support of Google’s argument on Wednesday, finding that the internet giant was not the publisher of the material in question.

In a statement published by The Sydney Morning Herald, Mr Defteros said that he took the action “as a matter of principle” and believed his “good family name has been preserved, not only in the law, but also within the community at large”.

Mr Defteros added that he felt “totally vindicated” despite the High Court’s verdict.

Source: ABC News and The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Effy Alexakis’ photo exhibition on Greek Australians to be displayed in Athens

A photo exhibition by Greek Australian photographer, Effy Alexakis, will be on proud display from October 22 at ‘shedia home’ in Athens.

Hellenic Village members discuss Kemps Creek property sale at Annual General Meeting

Member representatives that sit on the Board of Directors of The Hellenic Village Ltd held their Annual General Meeting (AGM) last week.

Petsios family close SA tomato farm after 65 years due to virus

The owners of SA Tomato, a 65-year-old tomato nursery in Adelaide, are considering legal action after closing due to a tomato virus.