George Kyriakidis spared jail after dangerous driving incident causes death of 16-year-old boy

·

A Sydney truck driver found guilty of dangerous driving causing death after running over a 16-year-old boy has been spared jail time.

In delivering his verdict in the District Court on Friday, judge John Pickering told George Kyriakidis when he finally gets his licence back “don’t ever, ever take a shortcut home”.

In August 2018, Kyriakidis was driving his 11-tonne tipper truck home and had slowed down almost to a crawling pace near a busy Bankstown street junction before making an illegal right-hand turn. At the same time, Jason Nguyen had run from a nature strip diagonally across lanes of traffic to get to his home in a street nearby, also making an illegal crossing.

Jason Nguyen was killed when Kyriakidis made an illegal right-hand turn. Credit: 7NEWS

Judge Pickering said like many great tragedies in life, two unfortunate things happened at the same time. The judge added that Kyriakidis made a “selfish” and “quick decision” to break the law but had no reasonable expectation a pedestrian would be crossing at that section of the road at that time.

Over a six-day trial, Kyriakidis had pleaded not guilty but was convicted by a jury after more than a day of deliberations.

Kyriakidis is to serve a community corrections order for two years, along with other conditions including supervision from Bankstown Community Corrections centre.

In a victim impact statement, Nguyen’s mother said her family’s life had forever changed since his death, and she still cries with pain which still feels so large.

She hopes to “protect her remaining loves ones as I failed to protect my late son”.

“[I] still cry with pain which still feels so large.”

Kyriakidis acknowledged his life had been permanently altered by his decision to take a shortcut home that day, and was already serving “a greater personal punishment” than any other he could be brought to bear.

Sourced By: Seven News

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas overtakes Rafael Nadal and climbs to World No.3 ranking

Stefanos Tsitsipas reached a career high on Monday, when he officially ranked among the top three tennis players in the world.

Heritage listing of St George Greek Orthodox Church at Rose Bay enters final phase

On Monday 12 February, Woollahra Council will likely consider and vote on heritage listing the St George Greek Orthodox Church. 

Aphrodite and Cyprus: AHEPA NSW hold first ever school holidays event

AHEPA NSW held its first ever School Holiday event held on Thursday, July 18 at its premises in Rockdale, Sydney.