George Alex pleads bail for mental health treatment, court hears

·

Controversial building industry figure George Alex, who was arrested last month over a $17 million tax fraud syndicate, has denied any wrongdoing, arguing he needs bail to get treatment for mental health issues, a court heard.

Last month George Alex was arrested in Queensland and extradited to Sydney on conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth and dealing with proceeds of crime charges.

The 49-year-old applied for bail at Central Local Court on Tuesday, but Magistrate Margaret Quinn is not expected to make a decision until Friday.

Read More: Construction figure George Alex arrested over money laundering, tax evasion

Prosecutor Raelene Sharp said Alex may interfere with witnesses if released and posed an unacceptable flight risk, adding he had the “associations” and “significant financial means” to flee the country.

“If convicted, Mr Alex faces a significant term of imprisonment,” she said.

Mr Alex was alleged to be the leader of the syndicate that used labour hire and payroll companies to defraud the ATO. Millions of dollars were then allegedly transferred to Australian accounts controlled by other accused syndicate members.

Last week the sick Surfers Paradise man was held in isolation while on remand at Silverwater prison as a coronavirus precaution, and he appeared via video link on Tuesday wearing a green top fashioned as a makeshift face mask.

Read More: ‘The George Alex 12’ reportedly blindsided as police seized assets worth millions

Alex‘s lawyer argued the construction boss had “exceptionally strong” community ties that would stop him from leaving Australia – something he has not done since about 1987.

Defence barrister Craig Smith SC said Alex suffers from physical and mental health conditions and at one point wasn’t getting his medication behind bars.

“He still hasn’t seen a psychiatrist,” Mr Smith said.

George Alex was arrested on the Gold Coast. Photo: SMH NEWS.

The court also heard Alex was in a “very serious” accident in 1994, and still suffers ongoing pain for which he needs treatment.

Documents released from Queensland Supreme Court last week showed that 12 people were accused of being involved in the alleged syndicate. By the end of the proceedings on July 17, The George Alex 12 were ordered by the court to surrender control of millions of dollars worth of assets.

This included 14 properties, starting with Mr Alex’s waterfront apartment on the Gold Coast and a Sydney mansion in Earlwood worth $2.5 million, owned by a company linked to the construction identity.

ARRESTS-and-CHARGES

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Brad Battin voted new Victorian Liberal leader as John Pesutto ousted

Shadow Police Minister Brad Battin has been elected as the new leader of the Victorian Liberals, ousting John Pesutto.

Greek Orthodox Community of Canberra elect new Executive Committee

The Greek Orthodox Community & Church of Canberra has elected its new Executive Committee at its Annual General Meeting on Sunday.

Jaimee Fourlis to compete at Australian Open 2023 as wildcard

Tennis star, Jaimee Fourlis, is set to compete at the Australian Open 2023 (AO) after she was awarded main draw wildcard in an announcement on January 5.