EU to ban entry of all non-residents in attempt to control COVID-19 crisis

·

All non-essential travel to the European Union will be blocked in an attempt to prevent the coronavirus pandemic from further spreading across Europe.

European Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen, announced the shock crackdown on Monday and said anyone not from the EU’s 27 member countries would be denied entry unless they are long-term residents, family members of EU nationals, diplomats or essential workers like doctors.

“We know that everything which reduces social interaction also reduces the speed of the spread of the virus. The less travel, the more we can contain the virus,” she said.

The unprecedented ban, which will likely be approved on Tuesday, will last for 30 days initially and is expected to impact millions of tourists who travel to European countries over the summer holidays.

In a tweet following her announcement, Ms von der Leyen said the plan would not affect crucial trade flows and EU residents would be able to continue travelling from one country to another.

“Fast lanes will give priority to essential transport to keep the mobility sector going and ensure economic continuity,” she wrote.

“Temporary travel restrictions should be in place for an initial period of 30 days, but can be prolonged as necessary.”

The move comes after several EU and Schengen Area Member Countries including Greece, Germany, Spain, Italy and Estonia, introduced border checks and mandatory quarantine periods of their own.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Turkey begins military exercises in occupied Cyprus

Turkey's armed forces began annual exercises in the breakaway republic of Northern Cyprus as tensions continue to rise in the East Med.

Postal voting and land registry: Key topics during Greek parliamentarians’ Sydney visit

A meeting with Greek community media in Australia was held last week at the Consulate General of Greece in Sydney by four Greek MPs.

Funds raised by Greek Australian mums for Evia bushfire relief go towards new soccer field

Funds raised by Greek Australian mums last year for Evia bushfire relief have gone towards a new soccer field in Limni.