Erdogan says Turkey will reinforce its military presence in occupied northern Cyprus

·

Turkey will reinforce its military presence in the self-declared Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday.

Speaking with CNN Turk, the Turkish President said the reinforcements comes as a response to the decision by the United States made earlier this month to fully lift its defence trade restrictions on Cyprus for the 2023 fiscal year.

Erdogan said the US decision to lift the weapons embargo for Cyprus was “inexplicable in terms of content and timing.”

“The United States, which overlooks and even encourages the steps by the Cypriot-Greek duo that threaten peace and stability in the eastern Mediterranean, will lead to an armament race on the island with this step,” Erdogan said.

He added that Turkey already has 40,000 troops on the island and they will be reinforced with further land, naval and aerial weapons, ammunition and vehicles.

“Everyone must know that this last step will not go unresponded and that every precaution will be taken for the security of the Turkish Cypriots,” he said.

This comes as overnight, Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced that Greece has also boosted its military defences.

Whilst attending the ceremony of naming and joining the Navy of the newly built Fast Guided Missile Patrol Boat ‘Vice Captain Vlackahos’ at the Skaramangas Naval Fort, Mitsotakis said: “Today we welcome not only another modern vessel to our fleet, but an additional guarantee of safety and stability in the Aegean and the Mediterranean.”

“Every Greek weapon is a force of peaceful deterrence, a shield of dynamic protection of our sovereign rights, but also of international legitimacy,” he said.

Mitsotakis said the high-speed guide missile patrol car will contribute greatly to the strengthening of Greece’s navy.

“Our navy thus becomes more powerful, as does our air force, with the 24 new Rafale fighters, the renewed F-16 Vipers, the new International Training Center in Kalamata and next to them, of course, the land army,” he said.

SOURCE: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

You May Also Like

Greek culture on full display at official dinner to mark launch of ‘Ancient Greeks’ exhibition

The Greek culture and heritage was on full display at the National Museum of Australia on Thursday night for the exhibition launch.

Greta Thunberg alleges mistreatment in Israeli detention after arriving in Athens

Greta Thunberg has alleged she was mistreated while detained in Israel, speaking to hundreds of supporters upon her arrival at Athens.

Greece promoted to UEFA Nations League second division after 3-1 win against Northern Ireland

Greece claimed its 5th win this morning in the UEFA Nations League, defeating Northern Ireland 3-1 at Georgios Kamaras Stadium in Athens.