Eight dead in Ukraine cargo plane crash in northern Greece

·

Eight crew members have died after a Ukrainian cargo plane carrying munitions from Serbia to Bangladesh crashed in northern Greece late on Saturday.

Experts investigated the crash on Sunday and found no evidence of dangerous substances, but said there is a lot of ordnance that the plane was carrying spread around the crash site. 

The Antonov An-12 cargo plane from Serbia was being flown by a Ukrainian aviation crew before it smashed into fields between two Greek villages late on Saturday.

This drone photo shows the site where the AN-12 cargo plane crashed in Palaiochori village near the town of Kavala, in northern Greece, Sunday, July 17, 2022. Photo: AP Photo/Giannis Papanikos.

Minutes before, the pilot had reported engine trouble and had requested an emergency landing. He was directed to Kavala International Airport but never made it there.

Drone images from the scene showed smouldering debris from the Antonov An-12 aircraft strewn across fields.

Serbian Defence Minister, Nebojsa Stefanovic, told a news conference on Sunday the plane had been carrying 11.5 tonnes of products, including mortar and training shells, made by its defence industry.

The Ukrainian consul in Thessaloniki, who arrived at the crash site, told local officials that the eight crew members who were killed were all Ukrainian.

The Greek army’s Special Joint Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence Unit cleared two paths on Sunday for Fire Service forensics experts to move in before leaving.

By sunset, that second team had retrieved all the bodies, the commander of the army’s Landmine Field Clearing Battalion told reporters.

In a post on Twitter on Sunday, the Greek Foreign Ministry expressed its deep sorrow over the plane crash.

“Profoundly saddened by the news of the cargo plane crash in Northern Greece, near Kavala. We express our sincere condolences to the families of the 8 Ukrainian crew members who tragically lost their lives in the plane crash,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Newborn baby becomes the youngest victim of COVID-19 in Greece

A 37-day-old baby, which died on Monday from COVID-19, has become the youngest victim of the disease in Greece.

Occupied Cyprus to reopen beach abandoned in no-man’s land since 1974 conflict

Occupied Cyprus said on Tuesday it will reopen the beach area of an abandoned resort in no-man’s land, a move condemned by Greek Cypriots.

Australian Prime Minister honours Greek Independence Day and Greek Australian legacy

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has marked Greek Independence Day with a message honouring Greece’s historic struggle for freedom.