‘Difficult but not impossible’: Greek Culture Minister on return of Parthenon Marbles

·

Greece’s Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said in Parliament on Monday that achieving an agreement for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece by the British Museum “is difficult but not impossible.”

Ms Mendoni made her comment in response to a question by KINAL-PASOK Deputy Dimitris Konstantopoulos, who said the government should be transparent about the issue.

The Greek Culture Minister reiterated that Greece does not recognise any claims or ownership of the British Museum over the Parthenon Marbles, as they comprise a product of theft.

Mendoni said that the Greek government’s stance “remains national, unanimous, consistent and clear.”

“The government has been working from the start systematically, responsibly, and effectively to achieve the national goal – the return and reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures to Athens and the Acropolis Museum,” the minister added.

This latest statement by Mendoni comes as reports emerged earlier this month that “constructive discussions” were underway between The British Museum and Greece about returning the Parthenon Marbles to Athens.

The Parthenon Marbles. Photo by Graham Barclay, BWP Media/Getty Images.

The 2,500 year old marble was removed from the Acropolis in the early 19th century by British diplomat Lord Elgin and placed on display in Britain. At the time, Lord Elgin was an ambassador to the Ottoman Empire, which then ruled Greece.

Since their removal, Greece has repeatedly called for the permanent return of the ancient sculptures. Yet Britain has been defiant, saying the sculptures were legally acquired and UK law prevents it from breaking its historical collection.

READ MORE: Victorian Premier calls for the ‘immediate return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece’.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

You May Also Like

Alex Agelopoulos handed jail sentence after violent pitch invasion at Melbourne A-League game

Alex Agelopoulos has been sentenced to three months’ jail for injuring a goalkeeper during pitch invasion in Melbourne last year.

Greece eyes inclusion of Mount Olympus on UNESCO world heritage list

Greece has recently submitted to UNESCO’s list of World Cultural and Natural Heritage Sites the nomination file for Mount Olympus.

Kalambaka: trending travel destination in 2023

Kalambaka, has been listed in the American newspaper, Stars and Stripes as one of the most trending travel destinations in 2023.