Cyprus wildfire coordinator’s Australia trip sparks debate

·

The absence of Cyprus’ general wildfire coordinator, Andreas Grigoriou, during last month’s deadly fires has ignited political controversy, with lawmakers questioning why he was in Australia as the island faced one of its worst emergencies in years.

Mr Grigoriou was in Cyprus to mark the 51st anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus with the local diaspora.

The fires, which swept through mountainous areas of Limassol, killed two people, destroyed 130 sq km of land, damaged 700 homes, and left 157 families in urgent need of long-term housing. Officials have called it a major environmental disaster.

During a recent tense joint parliamentary session, MPs grilled ministers over delayed aerial response, coordination failures, and confusion on the ground. Several questioned, “Where was the backup?” and demanded to know who authorised Grigoriou’s trip.

Agriculture Minister Maria Panayiotou defended Grigoriou, saying he was on a “business mission” and did not require special permission to travel, stressing he had no “operational role” in firefighting. Grigoriou claimed his absence made no difference to the outcome.

But critics pointed to a 2023 Council of Ministers decision outlining the coordinator’s sweeping powers, including mobilising aircraft, commanding firefighting forces, and overseeing evacuations. President Christodoulides had previously praised Grigoriou’s role during a 2023 Limassol wildfire.

Interior Minister Konstantinos Ioannou promised “nothing will be swept under the rug” and said US wildfire experts had been invited to review Cyprus’ response system.

Justice Minister Marios Hartsiotis apologised for calling the deaths an “accident” and outlined recent improvements to firefighting capacity, while acknowledging gaps in prevention and coordination.

Reports from government departments highlighted serious shortcomings: outdated evacuation plans, insufficient rural firefighting staff, lack of fire shelters, and poor prevention measures around communities.

Despite public anger, no resignations have been offered. One MP summed up the frustration: “We keep calling ourselves ready until the fire comes.”

Source: knews

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

New study challenges long-held beliefs about Vergina’s Tomb of Persephone

For decades, scholars believed that the Great Tumulus of Vergina housed the remains of the last Macedonian royals.

Olympiacos beat Omonia Nicosia in Champions League qualifying

Olympiacos FC are into the next qualifying round of the Champions League after beating Omonia Nicosia 2-0.

Sydney Olympic FC to face Blacktown City in Australia Cup fourth round

Sydney Olympic are about to host Blacktown FC on Wednesday April 12, at Belmore Sports Ground for the fourth round of Australia Cup.