Cyprus opens its first underwater archeological park

·

One of the eastern Mediterranean’s best preserved ancient harbours is now available to see as Cyprus has opened its first underwater archeological park, giving visitors the opportunity to look at history right below their feet. 

The now submerged harbour was constructed between 311 and 312 BC, while Cyprus was the focus of conflict between the two successors of Alexander the Great, and lies off the ancient city-kingdom of Amathus. 

The city was probably constructed as a naval base because of its narrow entrance, though experts have said that the possibility of its use for commercial purposes cannot be dismissed.

Over the centuries, and due to natural water levels rising, the old city has developed into a natural reef where an ecosystem exists and marine life thrives. 

For the first time, Cyprus has opened up this part of history through the creation of an underwater archaeological park. 

Minister for Transport, Yiannis Karousos said that the opening of this park was an amazing opportunity for the public to see ancient history and to see the marine environment. 

“The surviving architectural remains and the special biodiversity of the marine area makes for a unique place to visit,” Karousos said. 

“Where the public have the opportunity to join the ancient history and get acquainted with the amazing marine environment.”

This special project was carried out within the framework of the European Cross-Border Cooperation (CBC) program in conjunction with the Andikat project. 

The Andikat project oversees diving routes in marine protected areas of the eastern Mediterranean Sea and the development of diving tourism in the region.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Greek parliamentarians promise action, but Australia’s diaspora needs more than words

Last week, a meeting was held at Melbourne’s Greek Centre, where the Greek parliamentarians had a lot to say. 

Tributes flow for pioneering Greek Australian minister Peter Morris

Peter Frederick Morris, the first Australian federal minister of Greek heritage, has died at the age of 94.

Outspoken former PASOK minister Theodoros Pangalos passes away

The death of former Greek politician of PASOK, Theodoros Pangalos, was announced by his family in social media.