Criminologist Andy Kaladelfos calls for re-evaluation of how justice handles sexual crimes

·

Criminologist Andy Kaladelfos is blunt in their assessment of how Australia’s justice system deals with sexual offences, the ABC reports.

“It is demonstrably not working in every way,” they said.

The University of NSW researcher has watched the issue of sexual assault and the harassment of women dominate news and politics in recent weeks.

Now, they are calling for a “wholesale re-evaluation” of how the justice system itself handles these crimes.

Dr Kaladelfos wants lawmakers to address the reasons why nearly 90 per cent of sexual assault victims don’t engage with the justice system.

They said the experiences of victim-survivors who do go through the court system also needed to be examined.

They are concerned trials have become so “awful” for victims, the justice system itself is deterring some people from reporting sexual offences to police.

It’s a sentiment echoed by sexual assault victims and victim advocates across Australia, but often not shared by those working within the justice system.

Dr Kaladelfos has spent years researching the way adult and child sexual assault victims are questioned during criminal trials.

In 2017, they and their colleagues published a study that compared the questioning of adult sexual assault complainants in contemporary trials, to trials run in the 1950s.

The researchers wanted to know if decades of law reform had improved the way victims were being questioned while giving evidence.

“We were expecting to find an improvement now, 70 years on,” Dr Kaladelfos said.

In that study, the researchers compared historic transcripts from NSW to contemporary transcripts from New Zealand, because the academics found “contemporary Australian transcripts are subject to access restrictions that make research untenable”.

Read full story here.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

You May Also Like

Shark app downloads surge after fatal attack on surfer Mercury Psillakis

Downloads of the NSW SharkSmart app have surged following the fatal shark attack on surfer Mercury Psillakis at Dee Why Beach last month.

Court hears Magnis chair Frank Poullas warned to cut ties with failing US battery gigafactory

The Federal Court has heard advisers urged Magnis Energy Technologies to cut ties with its troubled US battery gigafactory.

Alexis Tsipras meets with Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo to give support ahead of election

Alexis Tsipras travelled to Paris on Wednesday to give his support to mayor Anne Hidalgo ahead of the March 15 election in France.