Snowtown murderer James Vlassakis applies for parole

·

Convicted murderer James Vlassakis, one of the perpetrators in the infamous Snowtown “bodies-in-the-barrels” case, has formally applied for release on parole, the South Australian Parole Board has confirmed to ABC.

Vlassakis, now in his mid-40s, was just 19 when he became involved in the serial killings, which took place between 1992 and 1999 and were among the worst in Australia’s history.

He was found guilty of four murders but received a reduced non-parole period of 26 years due to his cooperation with authorities, which was pivotal in securing convictions against ringleaders John Bunting and Robert Wagner.

Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. ABC News. Lincoln Rothall
Frances Nelson has said prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. Photo: ABC News/Lincoln Rothall.

Frances Nelson KC, Chair of the Parole Board, confirmed that a hearing for Vlassakis’ application is at least eight weeks away. His image remains suppressed under court orders.

The case gained notoriety after police discovered the remains of victims in six plastic barrels stored in a disused bank vault in Snowtown in May 1999. Many victims were known personally to the killers.

Victims’ Rights Commissioner Sarah Quick said she had consulted with affected families and made a submission to the board regarding the parole application.

Last year, fellow accomplice Mark Ray Haydon was released after serving 25 years, under strict conditions including electronic monitoring, a curfew, and restrictions on contact with co-offenders and victims’ families.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Lauren Mavromati-Bourke on how the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus inspires her knitwear

Young Melbourne artist, Lauren Mavromati-Bourke, recently featured in the ‘Ahead of the Curve Digital Artwork Commission.’

Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney launch costume exhibition to mark Greek Revolution bicentenary

The Hellenic Lyceum of Sydney has officially launched its amazing costume exhibition at the Hermes Lounge in Kogarah.

St Demetrios Greek Orthodox church at St Marys hosts first-ever Paniyiri

People flocked to St Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church at St Marys on Sunday to celebrate the feast day of the parish’s patron saint.