Snowtown Killer James Vlassakis could be freed next month

·

James Spyridon Vlassakis, one of the key perpetrators in the notorious “bodies in the barrels” Snowtown murders, could be released from prison next month.

According to The Advertiser, the South Australian Parole Board is set to consider his application on August 5.

Vlassakis, who pleaded guilty to four murders in 2002, received a life sentence with a non-parole period of 26 years. Now 45, he has spent over two decades behind bars.

His victims included his half-brother and stepbrother, and he later gave key evidence that helped convict co-offenders John Bunting and Robert Wagner – both of whom are serving life sentences without parole.

Parole Board chair Frances Nelson told The Advertiser Vlassakis’ institutional behaviour had been “very good” and acknowledged that “he did give evidence against the other two perpetrators, which was quite brave, really.”

She added, “We have asked the Department for Correctional Services to give us what I call a through-care plan… how might he best be resocialised, because he has been in prison for a very long time.”

Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. ABC News. Lincoln Rothall
Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. Photo: ABC News/Lincoln Rothall.

While no guarantee has been given, Nelson noted it was likely a decision would be made at the August meeting.

Vlassakis’ image and imprisonment details have remained suppressed for over 20 years due to ongoing safety concerns. His story inspired the 2011 award-winning film Snowtown, which dramatised the crimes from his perspective.

Unlike co-conspirator Mark Haydon – who was released on parole in 2024 – Vlassakis would remain under parole conditions for life if granted release.

A state government spokesperson stressed that “James Vlassakis is a life-sentenced prisoner” and would continue to be monitored indefinitely if freed.

Source: The Advertiser

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Students and youth group members come together to support hamper drive

"We love to do something each year where the kids get to serve the community," Stella Christofi said.

For the first time in two decades, Athens invests 1.5 million euros in architectural heritage

The Athens Municipality Council launched the 'FACADE' program on Wednesday to help renovate the city’s architectural heritage.

Greek Australian billionaire Nikos Andrianakos passes away

Nikos Andrianakos, one of the wealthiest Greek Australians, has passed away at the age of 81 due to heart failure.