BREAKING: COVID-19 reaches Sydney’s southern suburbs as total cases hit 28

·

The COVID-19 infection has spread to outside the clustered Northern Beaches area, with a positive COVID case visiting Cronulla RSL on Wednesday, 18 December.

In a press conference led by NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, it was announced that the total number of COVID-19 cases in NSW has extended from 18 to 28.

Up to 8pm last night, there were 15 locally acquired cases linked to the cluster, the two from the previous day brought it to 17.

READ MORE: Christmas nightmare: State border crackdowns in place as NSW records COVID-19 spike

There was one additional case in a person who travelled to Queensland, who also obtained it from that cluster.

Then, from 8pm last night to now, there has been 10 additional cases, meaning in the past 48 hours, 28 cases have been attributed to the cluster.

NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian. Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP.

The premier urged all northern beaches residents stay home as the state works to get on top of its cluster.

“As soon as NSW Health gets that information about that venue or that someone has acquired the disease, you will get it in real time, the same time as I do,” she said.

“But to avoid confusion, we will be doing one daily update at 11am on the numbers.”

Cronulla RSL announced on their Facebook page that a confirmed case had visited their venue on Wednesday, the 16th of December 2020. A timeframe has yet to be provided.

One of the cases linked to the Avalon cluster had already flown to Queensland before contact tracers could get in touch with them.

The NSW Premier said they will be cracking down on international aircrews landing in Sydney from Tuesday, putting them into police-managed hotel quarantine.

“The issue isn’t the guidelines, it’s unfortunately when people breach the guidelines or choose not to self-isolate,” she said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

‘Disconnect Me’ by Alex Lykos added to line-up at Greek Film Festival in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced a special addition to its 28th Greek Film Festival’s films - 'Disconnect Me' by Alex Lykos.

Merri-bek Council signals changes likely after push to protect Coburg’s Orthodox Church

Merri-bek City Council has signalled that changes to its draft Central Coburg Structure Plan are likely, following strong community backlash.

Heirs of a Greek inheritance: Most common problems to deal with

There are many people of Greek descent all over the world whose parents or other close relatives had properties in Greece.