Convicted paedophile Milton Orkopoulos avoids jail time after flouting parole rules

·

Disgraced former NSW Labor MP Milton Orkopoulos has avoided jail for flouting his reporting obligations as a convicted child sex offender, after a magistrate said the court’s power to impose a harsher sentence was “fettered”.

On Wednesday Local Court Magistrate Philip Stewart sentenced Orkopoulos to a two-year community correction order after convicting him of one count of failing to comply with his reporting obligations under the Child Protection (Offenders Registration) Act.

The charge related to the use of a non-authorised mobile phone with internet access to call his lawyer and his sister. This was a breach of his obligation to report to police details of “any carriage service used, or intended to be used” by him.

Milton Orkopoulos before arriving at Waverley Court for breaching bail conditions. In Sydney on January 22. (Isabella Porras/Sydney Morning Herald)

Orkopoulos pleaded guilty. During the sentencing process, the magistrate also took into account four other breaches, including setting up an Instagram account and speaking briefly to a child while on the phone to another adult.

The former MP was released on parole in December last year after serving 11½ years of his prison term of 13 years and eight months for sex offences against teenage boys and supplying them with drugs.

“Given the offender’s demonstrated attitude of ambivalence to his reporting obligations … I am unable to find that he is unlikely to reoffend,” Mr Stewart said.

He said 12 months’ imprisonment would “sheet home” to Orkopoulos the importance of compliance, and he was “not satisfied” the community would be protected by a non-custodial sentence when Orkopolous offended while on parole.

Disgraced former NSW Labor minister and sex offender Milton Orkopoulos is seen during his release from Long Bay Correctional Centre in Sydney, Friday, December 20, 2019. (AAP)

However, under the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act, the Local Court was prevented from imposing a new term of imprisonment “in circumstances where the offender is serving a sentence of 5 years or more”. Orkopoulos’ existing sentence does not expire until next year.

“The unintended consequence … is that a person serving a lengthy sentence can avoid further custodial penalty when dealt with in the Local Court, whereas a person with a less significant record or no record at all could be imprisoned,” Mr Stewart said.

“This effectively provides impunity for some offenders on parole serving lengthy sentences, including Mr Orkopoulos,” he said.

Under the community correction order, Orkopoulos is not allowed to use an internet-enabled phone, must abstain from drug use, and must continue participating in rehabilitation programs.

The breaches of reporting obligations were considered parole breaches by the State Parole Authority and Orkopoulos’ parole was revoked until the matters were dealt with in court.

Sourced By: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Con Ioannidis among four newly charged in Victorian Building Authority corruption probe

Con Ioannidis is one of four men newly charged in the widening cash-for-registration scandal involving the Victorian Building Authority.

Additional sessions added for ‘Stelios’ following sold-out Australian premiere

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced additional screenings of the highly anticipated film Stelios at Palace Cinemas Norton Street.

Rich lister eyes $34m rescue of Nikolaos Solomos’ Derrimut 24:7 gyms

Rich lister and former NRL player Wes Maas has been identified as the likely buyer of the debt-stricken Derrimut 24:7 Gym chain.