Chief Justice Kourakis endorses SA policy targeting improper workplace behaviour

·

South Australian judges and magistrates have earlier this week adopted a new policy targeting inappropriate workplace conduct by judicial officers.

In a statement, the Honourable Chris Kourakis, Chief Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court, has said the ‘Judicial Officer Appropriate Workplace Conduct Policy’ demonstrates a commitment to “providing a safe, respectful and supportive workplace for all.”

Kourakis CJ went on to say the South Australian judiciary at all levels “will not tolerate inappropriate workplace conduct by judicial officers.”

“The authority assumed with taking judicial office comes with a responsibility to lead by example in court, in our workplaces and in the community,” he said.

The new policy outlines what behaviours constitute inappropriate workplace conduct and defines bullying, discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment and victimisation.

It also calls on judicial officers to “recognise the significance of any power imbalance in a personal relationship in the workplace, including by reason of seniority in position or age,” mandating that sexual relationships with colleagues be disclosed.

As reported by ABC News, the new policy comes after a 2021 report by the Equal Opportunity Commissioner revealed widespread sexual and discriminatory harassment in South Australia’s legal profession.

Forty-two per cent of respondents said they had experienced sexual or discriminatory harassment at work, with one-third claiming to have experienced it on multiple occasions.

Predatory behaviour and unwanted advances were also recorded, with 41 respondents saying they had received requests or pressure for sex or other intimate acts.

The new policy was adopted by a resolution of South Australia’s Heads of Jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, District Court, Magistrates Court, Coroners Court and Youth Court.

READ MORE: Chief Justice Chris Kourakis leads charge for SA lawyers to undergo compulsory anti-bullying training

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

BREAKING: Tsitsipas incredible perfomance vs. Djokovic not enough to reach French Open grand final

One of the greatest comebacks in French Open history was almost in the hands of Stefanos Tsitsipas Saturday morning, yet was stolen away by a great performance by World No. 1 Novak Djokovic, beating the Greek tennis player 6-3 6-2 5-7 4-6 6-1.

Message by Kyriakos Mitsotakis on the Battle of Crete

Η Μάχη της Κρήτης αποτέλεσε μια σημαντική εξέλιξη στον Β’ Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο καθώς αποδυνάμωσε την έφοδο των εισβολέων, επηρεάζοντας την εξέλιξη των στρατιωτικών επιχειρήσεων του...

Wild fight breaks out on Greek ferry over toilets

A wild fight over toilets erupted on a Greek passenger ferry travelling from Crete to Athens on Monday, August 19.