Bob Katter MP doubles down on journalist threat as watchdog urged to act

·

Under-fire Queensland MP Bob Katter has doubled down on his threat to punch a journalist, saying his only regret was not being “more aggressive,” as the Greens call for parliament’s new standards watchdog to take action.

The 80-year-old independent waved his fist at Nine reporter Josh Bavas – who has Hellenic heritage – last week when asked about his Lebanese heritage during a press conference supporting anti-immigration rallies. He later declared: “I’ve punched blokes in the face for less.”

On Monday, Katter insisted: “Far from apologising, I should have just kept going… I hope I don’t run across him again. He better examine his conscience.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, Coalition MPs and crossbenchers condemned the threat, while Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young has now written to Speaker Milton Dick and the Independent Parliamentary Standards Commission demanding a referral.

“There is a clear double standard when this behaviour is dismissed by some as the actions of a colourful bloke when other MPs or senators wouldn’t be let off so lightly,” Hanson-Young said. “Katter should apologise or resign.”

The commission, set up last year, has powers to suspend MPs or dock their pay. It is unclear whether the incident, which took place outside parliament, falls within its remit.

Despite criticism, Katter – one of the few MPs to attend Sunday’s anti-immigration marches, which also drew neo-Nazis – stood firm. “Our national identity is a sacred thing,” he said. “If we lose that, we’ve lost everything.”

The matter has fuelled debate over political standards, with Nine demanding an apology and backing its reporter.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Nick Bourdaniotis’ ‘Evzones Collection’ brought to life at national media launch

The culmination of Nick Bourdaniotis' photographic work came to life on Tuesday night, during the national media launch of 'The Evzones Collection'.

Greece’s Deputy Foreign Minister: ‘Australian diaspora is a pillar of preservation of Greek traditions’

The Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Greece, Andreas Katsaniotis, speaks with The Greek Herald about the Greek community in Australia.

Victoria’s Greek National Day Council to hold elections

Victoria's Greek National Day Council is holding elections on Monday, May 13 at 7pm to appoint a new Executive Committee.