Australian Government delegation visits Lemnos to finalise details of Remembrance Trail

·

Following approval of a $4.9 million expense in the Federal budget, a delegation from Australia’s Department of Veterans’ Affairs has visited Lemnos to finalise the technical details and kick off the implementation of the Remembrance Trail in recognition of the Australian doctors, nurses and other service personnel who served there during WWI.

The Australian delegation met with Greece’s Deputy Minister of Defence, Nikos Hardalias as well as local authorities, Australia’s Ambassador to Greece, Arthur Spyrou, said.

The creation of the Remembrance Trail was first announced back in April 2018 by Melbourne’s Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee and the Prefecture of the Northern Aegean, with hopes that it will commemorate and immortalise the service and sacrifice of those who came to Lemnos in the Gallipoli campaign, which included an estimated 50,000 Australians.

Whilst visiting Australia last month, Hardalias said he was hopeful the trail would be completed by 2025.

The project, which will further enhance the close ties between Australia and Greece will be delivered by the Australian Department of Veterans’ Affairs and maintained by the Greek Government upon its completion, as agreed in a Memorandum of Understanding signed by the two countries.

Speaking with The Greek Herald earlier in the year, the then Australian Veterans’ Affairs Minister, Andrew Gee said: “Lemnos played a key role in the Gallipoli campaign for Australia and New Zealand, and our allies.”

“It was a staging and support base, as well as a place of care for our sick and wounded. An estimated 50,000 Anzacs passed through Lemnos over the course of the campaign. It’s a story of friendship between Greece and Australia that needs to be told,” he said.

The Remembrance Trail will help visitors tour the sites of the island where their Australian ancestors went, while at the same time explaining in detail the historical significance of specific areas of the island.

READ MORE: ‘A story of friendship that needs to be told’: Minister Gee on Lemnos Remembrance Trail

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

Athens University opens Cyprus branch in higher education milestone

The establishment of a Cyprus branch of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens marks “a milestone.”

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

You May Also Like

Melbourne cancels Greek Independence Day March this year

Melbourne's Greek Independence Day March for 2021 has been cancelled due to coronavirus restrictions in Victoria.

Sell-out match predicted for highly anticipated Sydney Olympic, Rockdale City Suns semi-final

"This match will sell out, we advise all patrons wishing to attend to either purchase tickets on the Friday night or get there early on Saturday," John Boulous says.

Restaurateur Chris Lucas set to define a new dining destination for Melbourne

Australian restaurateur Chris Lucas announced he will bring his elegant style and sophisticated design to 435 Bourke Street, Melbourne.