Victorian hotel quarantine blunder as guests urged to get tested for HIV

·

More than 200 people who were in Victoria’s hotel quarantine program are being urged to get tested for HIV and other viruses after a testing mix-up.

State health authorities have announced that 243 people are being advised to undergo testing for Hepatitis B and C and HIV, after it was revealed that single-use blood glucose testing kits were used “across multiple residents” between March 29 and August 20.

Safe Care Victoria, the state’s healthcare quality and safety agency, said the needles can be changed between each use but the body of the device can retain microscopic amounts of blood.

“This presents a low clinical risk of cross-contamination and blood-borne viruses — hepatitis B and C, and HIV,” the agency said.

To reassure those affected, confidential testing is being arranged. People are being contacted on the basis of their health records.

The agency has said there was no risk to anyone who did not have a blood glucose test, nor was there any risk to anyone who used their own device.

Coronavirus is not spread by blood so there was no risk that the test could have spread the illness.

A “full review” into how the breach happened is also now being conducted by the agency.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Aussie Tennis Youngster Thanasi Kokkinakis ready for the 2020 season

“I feel good. This is the healthiest I’ve been in a while,” the 23-year-old told tennis.com.au during a break from his pre-season training.

New ‘miGRant’ survey helps to develop a better Greek language education in Australia

A new 'miGRant' survey has been announced which will help create a better Greek language education for Greek children in Australia.

South Sydney Rabbitohs chair Nick Pappas supports Latrell Mitchell amid radio rant

The Rabbitohs star Latrell Mitchell is under fire after a recent post-match R-rated radio interview on Triple M took place last week.