Tax accountant Filomina Kyriacou facing ban over $2.4 million unpaid tax bill

·

Sydney accountant, Filomina Kyriacou, is being pursued by the Australian Taxation Office over unpaid tax and penalties of $2.4 million.

The director of Sydney accounting firm Wentworth Williams, Ms Kyriacou has been linked to the tax fraud accused George Alex.

The tax debt resulted in the Tax Practitioners Board banning Ms Kyriacou and her firm from acting as a tax agent, a move the 54-year-old is attempting to have overturned in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

According to her tax records, which were aired in the proceedings, Ms Kyriacou is accused of ­understating her taxable income in 2017-18.

Ms Kyriacou has been linked to the tax fraud accused George Alex.

In 2017, Ms Kyriacou “returned taxable income” of $38,247 but, after an ATO audit, her earnings were found to be more than $1.6 million, resulting in a tax shortfall of $753,405.04, court documents state.

The following year, the documents stated Ms Kyriacou declared an income of $57,785 when it was actually assessed by the ATO to be almost $1.3 million. This resulted in a tax shortfall of more than $572,000.

The ATO probe also led to 26 of Ms Kyriacou’s “clients” being audited, which uncovered that they had $18 million in various liabilities, the tribunal heard.

Tribunal documents showed part or all of the amount “rela­ted to six companies” but the ATO did not particularise those allegations for the Tax Practitioners Board.

According to The Sunday Telegraph, business searches found records of six companies, of which Ms Kyriacou was a previous director, that are now in liquidation, owing about $10 million in unpaid tax.

It is not known if these are the six companies referred to in the Tribunal.

Ms Kyriacou applied to the tribunal earlier this year to have her five-year ban overturned.

The tribunal is yet to hand down its decision and in May granted Ms Kyriacou a temporary “stay” from being banned while it was deliberating on its final order.

A spokeswoman from the Tribunal said the stay was in place until August 9 “or until further order by the tribunal.”

The tribunal heard Ms Kyriacou is suffering from bone marrow cancer “which it might be inferred has ­impacted upon her ability to respond in a timely and effective way to the ATO and the (tax) Board.”

Ms Kyriacou is fighting being banned from operating as a tax agent.

Ms Kyriacou has also been linked to construction identity George Alex, who is accused of leading a tax fraud ring that stole $17 million.

RELATED: Construction figure George Alex arrested over money laundering, tax evasion.

Ms Kyriacou has not been charged over the tax fraud syndicate and there is no suggestion she has any involvement. However, Ms Kyriacou did feature as a witness who gave evidence in a 2014 Federal Court case relating to Alex’s financial affairs after he was declared bankrupt.

However, Justice Bernard Murphy ruled that Ms Kyriacou was an unreliable witness and said some of her evidence was “implausible.”

Mr Kyriacou’s case will ­return to the tribunal on ­November 13. The Sunday Telegraph attempted to contact her for comment.

Source: The Sunday Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

102-year-old woman becomes oldest person to recover from COVID-19 in Greece

A 102-year-old woman has become the oldest woman in Greece to recover from COVID-19 after she was hospitalised with the virus.

Protestors in Athens rally against same-sex marriage bill

More than 1,500 protestors came together in central Athens to express their opposition to legalise same-sex marriage in Greece.

‘Open Horizons relates to the society we live in’: Museums Victoria’s Linda Sproul 

Museums Victoria director of exhibitions and audience experiences Linda Sproul answered our five questions about the Open Horizons exhibition