St Basil’s operators made to give evidence at inquest into COVID deaths

·

The operators of the St Basil’s nursing home in Fawkner must testify at an inquest into the deaths of the home’s residents last year.

Kon Kontis and Vicki Kos first requested to be excused from giving evidence last week on the grounds they might incriminate themselves.

They fronted the Victorian Coroners Court on Wednesday only for state Coroner John Cain to reject their requests.

Cain required both of them to give evidence but provided them with a certificate that means nothing they say at the inquest can be used against them unless it is false information.

Mr. Kontis and Ms. Kos were running the home in July last year when a COVID-19 outbreak led to the deaths of 45 residents.

Last week, a woman whose mother died from COVID-19 after living at St Basil’s told the inquest excusing the pair would be a “slap in the face”.

“What transpired should never have happened,” Helen Karikas, whose mother Vicky Patsakos died in August 2020 after she got COVID-19, said.

“The evidence has demonstrated how many opportunities were missed to prevent this tragedy.”

“I’m calling on you now – please do not allow Vicki Kos and Kon Kontis to be excused from giving evidence.”

Source: Mandurah Mail

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Polites family legal battle heats up with estate investigation

The bitter legal dispute within one of the state’s wealthiest families centred around the estate of Florence Gemenis Polites has escalated.

Olympic gold medalist Sofia Bekatorou claims she was sexually assaulted by official

The Olympic sailing champion has accused an unnamed sporting official of sexually assaulting her during preparations for the Sydney Games.

WEAREOPEN: A photograph, a wish and a post to support small businesses during COVID-19 restrictions

As Greeks play such a significant role in Sydney’s hospitality industries, so many Greek-owned businesses, whether cafes, restaurants and clubs.