St Basil’s inquest: Brett Sutton endorsed decision to furlough staff

·

Victorian chief health officer Brett Sutton personally endorsed a decision to furlough staff at St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Melbourne.

Sutton told an inquest into the home, where 45 residents died after contacting COVID-19 last year, that the decision was conditional on an emergency workforce being found. 

Staff at the home, who were declared close contacts, were replaced by inexperienced agency staff. 

The inquest has heard that almost half of the necessary workers could not be found the day before the handover on July 22. It also heard residents had missed meals and medications within hours of the transfer.

“I think everyone understands that if there was no sign of replacement staff on [the] 22nd (2020), the handover would not take place,” officer Sutton said.

Sutton conceded his direction that staff had to furlough by close of business that day could have been clearer.

Prof Sutton said he had not been told of any specific problems in finding an emergency workforce, although he had not made any inquiries himself.

He agreed he was aware his direction would mean replacing the entire St Basil’s workforce, which would result in losing the clinical governance framework for the home, a challenging situation without enough workers with adequate experience

Under examination by counsel assisting Peter Rozen QC, Sutton said he was asked to personally endorse in writing the move to furlough staff, after the chairman of St Basil’s initially refused to follow health directions.

“This ongoing outbreak represents a significant and serious threat to public health,” Sutton wrote to the home’s chairman.

Also on Friday, the inquest was told state health authorities knew St Basil’s would be at least 30 staff short the day before it furloughed the home’s workforce.

The shortage represented almost half of the 66 workers needed to cover shifts at St Basil’s on July 22 last year, the day its workforce was sent home.

Victoria’s health department has provided another 2000 pages of evidence to the inquest as it concludes its second week of witness testimony, with one lawyer telling Victorian State Coroner John Cain that there had been no time to review the documents.

The hearing continues.

Source: Perth Now

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek workers defy ban with social distancing to mark Labour Day

Greek workers and students wearing masks and gloves lined up outside parliament to commemorate May Day, defying a government ban on movement

Watch: A 3D Flythrough Tour of Classical Athens

Developed as a hobby project in 2008 by visual effects artist Dimitris Tsalkanis, 3D Athens presents the Ancient city through time.

Community and Parish of St George Thebarton holds appreciation dinner for community and supporters

With an appreciation dinner St George Parish priest, Fr Diogenis Patsouris, thanked the community for their support and commitment.