Son of Reverend George Capsis jailed for possessing child abuse material

·

Steven Capsis, the son of well-respected Baptist priest Reverend George Capsis, will spend at least the next three months and 12 days in prison for possessing and accessing child abuse material.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Mr Capsis, 48, was sentenced at the Downing Centre District Court last week after police found more than 400 child abuse images on multiple devices in his home.

The court heard Capsis, who lives with his parents and has been supported by his father in court, had felt “misunderstood his entire life” and felt a barrier to maintaining intimacy with anyone besides his family.

Steven Capsis is the son of well-respected Baptist priest Reverend George Capsis (pictured).

In a letter to the court he “apologised unreservedly” and said he felt “deeply ashamed” of his offending.

In his own letter to the court, Reverend Capsis said his son was a “good son with a kind, friendly nature and a strong work ethic.”

Judge Jennie Anne Girdham, speaking generally, called the possession of child abuse material “callous and predatory,” the Telegraph reports.

Steve Capsis was sentenced at the Downing Centre District Court.

She said she was satisfied Mr Capsis was both contrite and remorseful. He will be eligible for release on March 14, 2022.

Mr Capsis has previously run for NSW and federal parliament as a Christian Democrats candidate and once received a NSW Government Community Service Award for his years of outreach to people affected by addiction and homelessness.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

South Melbourne FC set for historic OFC Pro League final showdown

South Melbourne FC will contest the inaugural OFC Pro League final against Auckland FC after a 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC.

South Melbourne FC hail ‘extraordinary achievement’ after booking OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC have reached the inaugural OFC Pro League final with a dominant 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC in Auckland.

You May Also Like

Joe Biden drops out of US presidential race

US President Joe Biden is ending his re-election bid and pulling out of this year's presidential race, endorsing Kamala Harris instead.

Greece’s holiday season to go uninterrupted as health minister rules out more lockdowns

Health Minister Thanos Plevris has ruled out introducing any new restrictions ahead of the Christmas period.

Peter Manettas warns of seafood shortages, price hikes ahead of Easter

A wave of seafood shortages has hit suppliers this month, prompting warnings of price hikes ahead of Easter.