Greek Australian grandfather will walk in September to raise funds for breast cancer

·

At 82 years of age, Melbourne grandfather Chris Tsalikis is preparing to walk from September 20-29 and raise funds for the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

“I have always been active but for the last 18 months I have been doing a lot of walking. I walk five days a week and I do 15-16 kilometres every day,” Chris tells The Greek Herald.

“I thought I might use that for a good cause instead of just doing it for fun.”

His goal is to walk from ten of Melbourne’s major hospitals, one every day, to his home in East Brighton. 

“My daughter, Ellise, went through cancer five years ago and she had a mastectomy and chemotherapy so I am also doing it for her,” Chris says explaining that his daughter is also a breast cancer survivor.

Chris Tsalikis with his family

According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, breast cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia with over 20,000 people diagnosed each year. 

Through this challenge, apart from raising awareness and much needed funds for cancer research the Greek Australian also hopes to motivate people to make lifestyle changes.

“Maybe I can be an inspiration to some people to make the effort and get out, take a few steps, take a big breath of some fresh air and it will do them good”.

But it looks like this is not the first time Chris Tsalikis has become a source of inspiration.

Since the day he migrated to Australia in the early 1950s from his village in Kozani, northern Greece as a 15-year-old he’s made great achievements both in his personal and professional life. 

In the 1960s as an actor he participated in a film titled ‘Clay’ that made it to the Cannes Film Festival. Later on, he owned an art studio selling art pieces to galleries around Mornington Peninsula and after that he started his own restaurants where he also was the head chef. 

And this is not the end.

“Dad is an amazing man and an inspiration to say the least,” says Ellise, Chris’ daughter.

“Once he retired, he loved to fish and play tennis, which he did 3-4 times a week up until the age of 80. Around five years ago he climbed to base camp of Mt Everest with my brother. 

“He never ceases to amaze.” 

Two days after the conclusion of his ten-day walk Chris is also organising an art exhibition in East Melbourne where he hopes to sell his art and raise funds for the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute.

Chris’ sculpture exhibition will be held on Saturday October 1st and Sunday October 2nd. Proceeds from sales will be donated to the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute.

“Throughout the pandemic he rediscovered his artistic side and made around twenty wooden sculptures from large pieces of wood he would find on his progressively longer, daily walks,” explains Ellise. 

The family now hopes that the community will support the initiative and that no woman will have to suffer from the disease anymore.

“I am one of the lucky ones. I am now five years cancer free but my dream is that no person should ever have to go through what I did,” Ellise says. 

READ MORE: Professor Helen Zorbas on growing up Greek and being a role model for young doctors

*Click here to find out more about the National Breast Cancer Foundation’s research and projects

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Bill Mousoulis: A Greek Australian filmmaker with integrity

By Kathy Karageorgiou. Films or movies serve as entertainment, as escapism and as art – hopefully encompassing all of these aspects. Films as art...

Panathinaikos falls at the first hurdle of the Greek Super League

The new Super League season kicked off this weekend with PAOK and Aris winning at home, while Panathinaikos began its campaign with a reverse...

Australia and Greece among countries committing to a ‘democratic’ internet

Australia and Greece are among 56 nations who are signing a political commitment that pushes for the internet to be supported by democratic values.  This...