NT judge rejects Mario Tsirbas’ bid for urgent court hearing challenging vaccine mandate

·

A Northern Territory Supreme Court judge has rejected a bid to hold an expedited hearing challenging the territory’s COVID-19 vaccination mandate.

Three unvaccinated men last week filed a legal case against the Chief Health Officer’s (CHO) direction that forbids workers from attending their workplaces after December 25 if they have not received both doses of an approved vaccine.

They had asked the Supreme Court for an urgent hearing on December 23, but Justice Sonia Brownhill today said the expedited timetable was too tight.

READ MORE: Mario Tsirbas spearheading legal challenge against NT vaccine mandate.

According to ABC News, Justice Brownhill refused the application and instead listed the matter for a directions hearing next Wednesday, when a trial date is expected to be set.

Outside court, Mario Tsirbas, the President of United NT Businesses, which is funding the legal challenge, said the result was “very disappointing.”

“We’ve got thousands of workers with a real prospect of having a Christmas of a lot of heartache,” Mario Tsirbas said, while added that the group would continue its legal fight.

“Justice is justice, regardless of the timeframe. So, yeah, we will be pushing ahead with the case,” he said.

“This is too important to walk away now.”

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Basil Zempilas accuses WA Government of misleading public on domestic violence policy

WA Opposition Leader Basil Zempilas has accused the Labor government of misleading the public over its domestic violence GPS tracking policy.

Snow and storms cause chaos across Greece

Greece is grappling with severe weather, bringing heavy snow, rain and storms that have disrupted daily life across the country.

10 shipwrecks and treasures discovered off the coast of Greece

An international team of researchers has made a significant discovery off the coast of Greece, uncovering 10 shipwrecks.