NSW Teachers Federation President Angelo Gavrielatos calls Year 12 return to school ‘premature’

·

The NSW Teachers Federation (NSWTF) has responded to the updated vaccination priority of Year 12 students to help schools return to in-classroom learning. 

NSWTF President Angelo Gavrielatos says Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s plan is coming too soon an will put the safety of students and teachers at risk. 

“These are very, very difficult and concerning times and we certainly believe that the announcement made by the premier last week was premature, particularly when you consider the caseload, more than 200 each day over the last three days, and more worrying still, less than half of that in isolation during their entire infectious period,” Mr Gavrielatos told the Today show.

NSWTF President Angelo Gavrielatos speaks with the Today Show (Photo: Screenshot from 9 News)

He says schools were very similar to large worksites, with hundreds of people closely interacting. 

“We want our students back to face-to-face teaching and learning. We want them back but we want them back when it is safe to do so,” he said.

When Ms Berejiklian announced the staggered return of face-to-face schooling on April 21 last year, the number of daily cases in the community was around five, making it a very different situation even before the Delta variant came into play, Mr Gavrielatos said.

“This is the Delta strain, it is highly contagious and highly transmissible. We must put the health and safety of students, their teachers and families first.”

Announcing the plan for Year 12 students to return last week, Ms Berejiklian said students would be given rapid antigen testing to catch any cases of COVID-19, and those living or studying in hotspot areas would be prioritised for the Pfizer vaccine.

“We don’t want students coming to face-to-face learning, getting the virus and taking it home to their families, that’s why we will start a vaccination program,” she said.

Source: 9 News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

EKOME and GNTO sign Memorandum of Understanding to promote Greek tourism abroad

The National Centre of Audiovisual Media and Communication and the Greek National Tourism Organization signed a Memorandum of Understanding

Saved icon returns to the Church of Saint Demitrios in Thessaloniki

Saved by a family of Thessalonians during 1917, the icon of Our Lady of Theotokos has been returned to the Church of Saint Demitrios.

Sydney’s Greek community join together to commemorate the Athens Polytechnic Uprising

The 48th anniversary of the Athens Polytechnic Uprising was commemorated on Sunday with an event organised by GOCNSW and CUGA.