NSW records 98 cases, Victoria’s Premier confirms lockdown won’t end tomorrow night

·

NSW recorded 98 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.

This afternoon, NSW Health also reported the death of a woman in her 50s who was a confirmed COVID-19 case. She was a resident of south western Sydney and a close contact of a COVID case.

Of the locally acquired cases, 61 are linked to a known case or cluster – 43 are household contacts and 18 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 37 cases is under investigation.

Fifty-four cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 17 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period. Twenty cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of seven cases remains under investigation.

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, said at a press conference this morning that the state won’t see the effects of a harsh lockdown for ‘another four or five days.’

This comes as Victoria’s Premier, Daniel Andrews, confirmed this morning that the state’s current lockdown won’t end at 11.59pm tomorrow night.

“I know this is not the news people want to hear,” he said.

However, Mr Andrews said the state has dodged “weeks and weeks” of lockdown by issuing stay-at-home orders late last week and not a moment longer.

Daniel Andrews.

“We have made great progress and we have avoided 1000s of cases. Knowing what we know now, lockdown was the right course, that was the right call at the right time.”

The Premier says the lockdown extension will be determined by tests which are currently in the lab and he hopes to give an update tomorrow.

Victoria recorded 13 new cases of COVID-19 today, all of which are connected to current outbreaks.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Mitsotakis signals nuclear energy future and rules out Greek military role in Middle East conflict

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said that Greece should consider joining the European "nuclear alliance" in the future.

Greek and Jewish leaders call for unity after Australian Hellenic Choir controversy

Greek and Jewish community leaders have called for unity and dialogue following the cancellation of the proposed Hope and Unity concert.

Supermarkets in Greece not allowed to sell toys over Christmas, says Minister

A minister threatened to cancel 'click and collect' services if Ermou, the main commercial street in Athens, gets too crowded.