Melbourne Greek woman left ‘heartbroken’ as armed police interrupt father’s funeral

·

A woman in Victoria has been left “heartbroken” after armed uniformed police officers interrupted her Greek father’s funeral over the Easter long weekend, The Guardian reports.

Helen Kolovos, who buried her father on Saturday, says she was “inconsolable” after two police officers entered the church and began counting the number of people attending the funeral as her father’s coffin was carried down the aisle.

As part of the social distancing measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Australia, funerals have been strictly limited to 10 guests since March.

“Being from a Greek family it was already mission impossible to do that, but we did, we literally had to pick and choose our own family and say you can come, you can’t come,” Kolovos told the Guardian.

 Police were out over the Easter long weekend enforcing coronavirus social distancing laws, including interrupting a funeral in Victoria and moving on people at Bondi. Photograph: Joel Carrett/EPA

The Victorian police were out enforcing social distancing rules, after the state police force rapidly escalated the number of people fined for breaching public health orders.

“To see the police come in at that moment, it broke my heart into a million pieces,” Kolovos said.

While the Kolovos family were living in the same house, her family sat in separate pews during the service. Ms Kolovos added that she found it “totally disrespectful” for the two armed police officers to entered the church, just as her father’s coffin was being carried out.

“It was just totally disrespectful, to carry a gun in a Greek church, it’s totally against our religion. But the way they came in, they didn’t bow their heads or anything. They just started speaking to some of the people who were working in the church and taking notes as we’re carrying out my dad.

“Just pause what you’re doing for one moment, bow your head, just give that man a little shred of respect. I was inconsolable. That whole moment of farewelling my dad, that moment was taken away from me.”

 NSW police issued 155 breaches of public health orders over the Easter weekend. Photograph: Joel Carrett/AAP

Ms Kolovos says that she plans to give her father the send off he deserves at a later date, with all their family and friends present.

Helen’s daughter Benita Kolovos wrote on Tuesday that her papou was “a true gentleman and deserved better”.

“He worked hard, played fair, loved deeply and was incredibly kind to all people.”

Many people have expressed their outrage towards the fines, claiming they are being distributed for “unnecessary reasons”. Despite the fine being overruled, a $1600 fine was previously issued to a 17-year-old learner driver who was caught driving with her mum during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Mr Scott Morrison says this rule was “not an easy decision”.

“Sadly, also, and I know this will be very difficult, funerals to no more than 10 persons observing the rules around the four-square-metre rule and the social distancing practices,” he said.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

You May Also Like

Con Poulos leads effort to contain Queensland fruit fly outbreak in Glynde

A QLD fruit fly outbreak has prompted quarantine measures, with residents required to keep homegrown fruit and veg on their properties.

Stefanos Tsitsipas advances through to Monte-Carlo Masters quarter-final

Stefanos Tsitsipas proceeds to the quarterfinals of the Monte Carlo Masters 1,000 as he continues to chase his first title of the season.

Jim Simos on betting over amateur football games in Australia

Australian soccer's governing body is taking a cut from bets placed on games at all levels, even on amateur suburban club competitions.