Kosteriadis family on the brink of homelessness after NDIS cut funding

·

An Adelaide family who care for their intellectually-disabled daughter full-time are “on the verge” of homelessness after the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) cut support funding.

According to The Advertiser, Alex Kosteriadis and his wife Leah spent over $100,000 opening their former smoothie bar business last year, but had to shut the business for good in June to care for their 19-year-old daughter, Georgia, after they were rejected for increased NDIS support in April.

Georgia suffered a stroke as an infant, severely damaging her frontal lobe. She lost 80 per cent of the left side of her brain function causing her to struggle with regulating emotions, resulting in multiple aggressive episodes a day.

Despite reports from their daughter’s psychologist which indicated she required two support workers, NDIS declined the family’s application for more support due to it not being “value for money.”

Photo: Kelly Barnes / The Advertiser.

“I can’t understand how this one lady (NDIS review officer) can make a decision that overrules a specialist that’s been looking after my daughter since 2019,” Mr Kosteriadis told The Advertiser.

Mr Kosteriadis said psychologist Jon Martin has inspired significant improvements in Georgia’s behaviour, reducing her need for strong medication.

“The last meeting we had with the psychiatrist, his aim was to get Georgia off all medications within a few years… But on the date the funding got slashed her world got turned upside down… We’ve been increasing it [again] because she’s just getting too irate,” Mr Kosteriadis claimed.

A National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) spokesperson commented, “The Agency continues to provide a significant level of funding for Georgia… Her current NDIS plan has slightly reduced but remains at more than $300,000 per year (which is comparable to her previous 12-month plan) – which supports her to lead a more inclusive, independent life.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Traditional Greek Recipes: Loukoumades

Nobody can forget the sweet, puffy texture of loukoumades and now, in the lead-up to Greek easter, is the time to indulge in the traditional treat.

Elvis Korsovitis joins the Kospetas Family to open STIX Hellenic Taverna in Sydney

A bold new chapter in Classical Greek dining unfolds this week, as Elvis Korsovitis, co-founder of the much-loved Greek street food brand Stix &...

Here’s how you can celebrate Greek Independence Day around Australia this year

It’s that time of the year again as Greek communities across Australia prepare to celebrate Greek Independence Day on March 25.