The 70th Sydney Film Festival, in partnership with European Film Promotion, has announced Europe! Voices of Women in Film, a program of 10 new films from vital European women filmmakers.
Among the female-made films is Behind the Haystacks (2022) by Greek director and screenwriter, Asimina Proedrou.
The film festival will be held from June 7 to 18 with Ms Proedrou travelling to Sydney to present her new film.
Ms Proedrou’s film is about the 2015 refugee crisis on the Greece-North Macedonia border. It is seen through the eyes of three morally culpable family members with overlapping and contradicting versions.
Sydney Film Festival Director, Nashen Moodley, commented on the event and said: “The Europe! Voices of Women in Film program’s eighth edition shines a light on exceptional women filmmakers, amplifying their voices in an industry burdened by gender disparity.”
“Featuring films from Italy to Denmark and Ireland to Estonia, the program serves as a platform for the diverse experiences and narratives of European women,” Ms Moodley added.
- BAND | 2022 | Iceland | Director, Screenwriter: Álfrún Örnólfsdóttir
- BEHIND THE HAYSTACKS | 2022 | Greece, Germany, North Macedonia | Director, Screenwriter: Asimina Proedrou
- ELAHA | 2023 | Germany | Director: Milena Aboyan
- FAMILY TIME | 2023 | Finland, Sweden | Director, Screenwriter: Tia Kouvo
- THE GIRL FROM TOMORROW | 2022 | Italy, France | Director, Screenwriter: Marta Savina
- THE QUIET MIGRATION | 2023 | Denmark | Director: Malene Choi
- SMOKE SAUNA SISTERHOOD | 2023 | Estonia, France, Iceland | Director, Screenwriter: Anna Hints
- SUNLIGHT | 2023 | Ireland | Director: Claire Dix
- THAT AFTERNOON | 2023 | Netherlands | Director, Screenwriter: Nafiss Nia
- THUNDER | 2022 | Switzerland | Director, Screenwriter: Carmen Jaquier
The full Sydney Film Festival 2023 program can be found online at sff.org.au. The Sydney Film Festival runs in cinemas from 7-18 June 2023.