‘If it wasn’t enough I’m deeply sorry’: Mikakos defends coronavirus response

·

Victoria’s Health Minister, Jenny Mikakos, has defended her handling of the coronavirus crisis, saying she has put “every ounce of energy” she has into responding to the pandemic since the state’s first case was recorded in January.

In an emotional thread posted on Twitter over the weekend, Ms Mikakos said she always tried to be “upfront and measured” about the challenges facing the state, but acknowledged “mistakes were made along the way.”

“Since that fateful day on 25 January, when we had our first ever case, I’ve worked every day to keep everyone safe. I have put every ounce of energy I’ve had into that effort. If it wasn’t enough, then I’m deeply sorry,” Ms Mikakos wrote.

The Health Minister also hit out at the “incorrect assumption made that somehow I can single-handedly report on the actions of countless individuals and many agencies involved in our pandemic response” — a likely reference to repeated questioning about the State Government’s handling of the mandatory hotel quarantine program.

Victoria’s operation of its mandatory hotel quarantine program has been under intense scrutiny since authorities revealed infection control breaches contributed to a number of new cases in May and June.

The Andrews Government has refused to answer questions about its management of the program for weeks, saying it would be inappropriate to comment before the inquiry, headed by former judge Jennifer Coate, completed its investigation.

Victoria’s Opposition also called for Ms Mikakos to resign last week after the Minister refused to answer questions about hotel quarantine in State Parliament.

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos refused to answer questions during State Parliament. Source: AAP / James Ross.

RELATED: Jenny Mikakos called out as ‘smug and arrogant’ for refusing to answer questions during parliament.

But on Twitter, the Health Minister urged people to allow Ms Coate to conduct the inquiry and “let the cards fall where they may.”

“I believe there is nothing to fear in seeking the truth. The truth will set you free,” she said.

When asked about Ms Mikakos’ welfare at Sunday’s coronavirus press conference, Premier Daniel Andrews said she was “a very strong person.”

“I’ve not read [the tweets] in full. They’ve been conveyed to me,” he said. “Everybody is working as hard as they can, and it is a big team.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

George Timotheou continues football dream with Adelaide United less than one year after heart surgery

George Timotheou has made his next step on his journey to becoming one of Australia's top defenders, recently signing a two-year deal with A-League side Adelaide United.

General strike brings Greece to a standstill over 13-hour work day law

A general strike has brought Greece to a standstill as unions escalate opposition to labour laws introducing a 13-hour work day.

SA principal Michael Koutsoukos warns parents after teacher arrested

Parents at East Adelaide School have been warned by principal Michael Koutsoukos after a teacher was charged with child sexual offences.