Greek Australian-owned construction group under pressure after entering administration

·

High-profile construction group, Ganellen, placed one of its companies into administration last week, midway through a court battle over defects and only days after it was fined over the worksite death of a young apprentice.

The Ganellen construction group was founded in 1998 by building magnate-turned-television star Peter Maneas.

One of its entities traded for 22 years as Ganellen Pty Ltd before it changed its name to GDC Group in May and was placed into voluntary administration last week.

“All projects associated with this entity have been completed, occupied and in use for over two years, and all employees and contractors connected to this entity have been paid in full,” a Ganellen spokesman said in a media release.

“It has no impact on any project currently under construction.”

However, administrator’s documents seen by The Sydney Morning Herald reveal GDC Group has current court action against it that has now been left in limbo.

David Oliver tells the SMH he was stunned when his lawyers informed him the company was being wound up, three days before Christmas.

Mr Oliver is a member of an owners’ corporation that has been pursuing GDC Group through the courts since 2017 for over a million dollars’ worth of alleged defects in a North Shore apartment block.

“We were meant to be heading to a settlement conference with them in February,” he told the Australian media outlet.

It is likely that the compensation claim will now be directed to the developer, Defence Housing Australia, which subcontracted Ganellen to build the block.

“Now they’re left holding the baby – which is effectively the public purse,” Mr Oliver said. “We’re lucky Defence Housing isn’t going anywhere.”

Mr Oliver said the court proceedings had been prolonged by Ganellen’s “continual challenging of [expert] reports.”

Earlier this month, another arm of the Ganellen Group was fined over the death of apprentice formworker Christopher Cassaniti in a scaffolding collapse.

Cassaniti died days after his 18th birthday when nine storeys of scaffolding came down at Ganellen’s Macquarie Park construction site last year.

GN Residential Construction Pty Ltd was ordered to pay $900,000 as part of a scathing court verdict.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

UK strikes £8 billion fighter jet deal with Turkey in landmark NATO agreement

The United Kingdom has finalised an £8 billion agreement to supply Turkey with 20 Eurofighter Typhoon jets.

How alleged tax fraud syndicate boss George Alex bought a $1.8m Gold Coast unit while bankrupt

George Alex allegedly set to work purchasing a $1.8 million three-bedroom apartment in the Gold Coast‘s Allunga building.

Greek Orthodox priest in SA hands back $1 million in donated jewellery

Father John Christodoulos, a Greek Orthodox priest in SA, has returned $1 million worth of jewellery donated by an elderly parishioner.