Gaganis Bros and The Greek on Halifax listed as exposure sites in SA as COVID cases grow

·

South Australia will introduce widespread restrictions but has stopped short of a full lockdown, after a traveller and two close contacts tested positive for COVID-19.

The daughter of an 81-year-old man who returned from overseas via New South Wales has now tested positive, while a man in his 50s who is also a close contact was later confirmed to have been diagnosed.

“Two close contacts have tested positive late this afternoon, a man and a woman both in their 50s,” SA Health said.

The SA government has announced level 4 internal restrictions from midnight tonight in response to the spread of the virus.

They include a ban on indoor dining, the closure of non-essential retail, the closure of gyms and indoor fitness facilities, the cancellation of contact sport and the closure of personal care services.

Mask-wearing will be mandatory in high-risk settings. Photo: ABC News / Michael Clements.

Density requirements at indoor venues will be reduced to one person per four square metres, dining will be outdoor only and private gatherings will be capped at 10 people.

Masks will be required for high-risk settings, public transport and shared indoor spaces.

Events with COVID management plans will also be cancelled, which includes major sports events, art events and festivals.

“This is not a lockdown, but it is clearly significant restrictions on public activities within our community,” SA Police Commissioner, Grant Stevens, said.

The measures come after an 81-year-old man tested positive in the early hours of Monday morning.

The 81-year-old man tested positive in the early hours of Monday morning.

His daughter initially tested negative but had since returned a “weak positive,” health authorities said.

Premier Steven Marshall said it was unclear whether the man contracted the virus in hotel quarantine or in hospital.

“Everyone who has come into contact with this 81-year-old gentleman will now need to go into 14 days of strict quarantine — directed quarantine — so we can contain this as quickly as possible,” Mr Marshall said.

Exposure site list grows:

More than a dozen “primary close contacts” have been identified, several of whom have so far tested negative including the man’s grandson, who is a teacher at Elizabeth Vale School.

The Elizabeth Vale School in Adelaide’s northern suburbs was closed while authorities ensured the man’s grandson had not attended during school holidays, but that school will reopen tomorrow.

An advice message at the Elizabeth Vale School to parents warning of potential coronavirus exposure. Photo: ABC News / Brant Cumming.

SA Health has identified a list of exposure sites in locations including Golden Grove and Modbury, but Professor Spurrier said that list had now grown.

“At the last count there were somewhere between 10 and 15 exposure sites,” Professor Spurrier said.

Among the list is Gaganis Bros in Hindmarsh from 1:00pm–2:30pm on Friday, July 16, and The Greek on Halifax in Adelaide on Saturday, July 17 from 6.00pm to 10.00pm.

Late this afternoon, Gaganis Bros announced on their Facebook page that they will be “closed until further notice” and they are “working closely with SA Health” to be able to reopen as soon as possible.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Steph and Gian: The Greek-Italian Australians on The Block 2023

Steph and Gian Ottavio are the young Greek-Italian Australian couple who have ruffled some feathers on The Block 2023.

Top Ten Christmas Kalanda

Christmas Kalanda is a long lived tradition in Greece where young Greek children go door to door singing Christmas Carols!

Secretary General for Greeks Abroad congratulates Bill Papastergiadis for law firm distinction

The Secretary General for Greeks Abroad, John Chrysoulakis, congratulates Bill Papastergiadis for law firm distinction.